Fit workpiece bigger than the chuck ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember once i read something somewhere about clamping workpieces bigger than the chuck jaw fully open. Cant seem to find it again.

Its a one off thing, but i still need it done.

I have a steel rod of 25mm + a hair more. I need that "hair" bit gone so i could fit 25mm I.D. bearing on. Rod is short (200mm) so wobble is not much of a problem. Probably some sanding in pillar drill would suffice, but i cant fit it in because chuck is 3-16mm (i think).

Any ideas on how can i spin the rod in a pillar drill to sand it off a bit ?
I don't know anyone with metalwork lathe(or woodwork lathe for that matter)
who doesn't want my first born as a payment to lift their ass off the chair for this...

I'd rather have firm but movable fit than resort on heating up bearing to fit it. Plus, heating is not really an option because its going to be pressed into wooden flanges before putting them on a rod axle.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have some imperial steel there....1" = 25.4mm.
Its really only tubing that you can fix in reverse chuck jaws (gripping from the inside of the tube).
A lathe is what you need, or an engineering shop.
Is it possible to swap the bearing for an imperial one? The bearing won't heat expand to that amount.
John :)

Its not imperial, its just not round. Either way it needs sanding/machining.

What about the way it would have been done before we all had workshops full of power tools? (How did I exist before routers, cordless drills and circular saws!)

Fit the rod in a vice and tear a strip of corse emery cloth hold each end, bend around the rod and pull each end towards you back and forth, like drying your back with a towel.

Regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Drill one end so that you can insert either a threaded or epoxied rod of smaller diameter that will fit in the chuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back