Fitting a ceiling light to plasterboard ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to fit a new ceiling light, weight 3.5kg. My ceiling is plasterboard. The light has 3 fixing holes arranged in a triangle 43cm from each other. I can fix one of them to a joist easily, or two not so easily (I'll have to drill a new hole for the cable that will go into the light and move the cable 12.5cm from where it hangs now).

Provided I fix the light with one screw to the joist and the other two to the drywall, will that be enough to hold the weight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Provided I fix the light with one screw to the joist and the other two to the drywall, will that be enough to hold the weight?
Yes, obviously the screw must be adequate.

Anyway use hollow wall anchors for the other two (or all three) and it will be fine.

You will need a fitting tool for best results.

I wouldn't like to chance it. Can you get access above?
The best way would be to secure a batten across where the light will go, with a hole through the centre for the cables, so you can screw securely through all holes.
If no access from above another option, although not ideal, could be a batten across the ceiling screwed into the joists either side, and then painted to blend in with the ceiling. I did this once, many years ago, and after a few days never noticed it anymore. Visitors never commented on it as people don't tend to look up at ceilings when visiting.

Sponsored Links
It looks lightweight - plasterboard fixings or spring toggles should be fine.

EDIT - just noticed the 3.5kg.

With a diameter of 60cm, I'm surprised you can't find another joist (although I suppose modern roof trusses are spaced out at 60cm or 600mm.

Spring toggles are much better than standard plasterboard fixings.

Last edited:
The fixing holes are at the distance of 43cm from each other, and the joists are at 60cm.

I can fix two of them to a joist that runs right through where my ceiling rose is. Which means that the light will be slightly off centre (probably ok), but I'll also have to drill a new hole for the wire and move the wire there, which is a bit of a pain. (EDIT: I'm not saying I won't do that)

Last edited:
If the panels are not T&G in the loft I'd recommend the batten between the joists.
Even if it is T&G, you can cut through the tongue with a correctly set plunge saw or circular saw without damaging the joists or hitting any cables/pipes.

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone.

What could happen if I hang it on two screws to the joist and one to the plasterboard with a spring toggle?

Thanks, that was an enlightening read. I'm glad I don't have to install a 150x150 batten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back