Fitting a heated towel rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I wish to fit a Heated towel Radiator in my bathroom. Now I know how to fit the element to the radiator but what I want to find out is as there is no central heating does the radiator have to be filled with water in order for the whole towel rail to get hot rather than just the area where the element is? If so will happen to the water when it is heated and it expands?
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Fill it up, you should notice that there's a valve in the cap nut that you fill from. Mine has a little rubber centre and some form of micro valv in that.

The general idea is that the water doesn't really ever get anywhere near 100 c

Prudent mtce should be to check the water levels every year or so.

If you only have water where the element is then only that part of the rad will get hot. Just like a rad on a CH system that needs bleeding of air.

Don't worry about expansion, the rad will be fine, just fill it up with water.

So, that's the plumbing questions out of the way.

Now, lets look at the Electrical items:

The circuit you wil be supplying the radiator from. Is it protected by a 30mA RCD?
Are the other circuits in the bathroom (including the lights) RCD protected.
If not, are all circuits connected by supplementary equipotential bonding?
Have you notified your local authority that you are doing electrical work in a bathroom and paid their fee?

Personally I'd leave at least a small air gap for expansion, but no doubt the chaps in the plumbing forum can give a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back