fitting a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was beginning to think using plugs to connect the electrical parts of gas appliances had been outlawed!

I have a new gas oven and hob, plus extractor as a direct replacement for the old ones. I rang a Corgi fitter who said he couldn't fix up the electrics to feed the ignition/lights/timer as he is not Part P yet. I did explain the sockets were already installed. The old appliances run from plug and socket, whereas the new stuff came with no plugs attached.

This might sound silly, but do you need to be Part P in order to fit plugs to appliances, or is the Corgi chap just covering his back, and am I able to do this bit myself?

please note forum rule 20

your post has been split

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, you can replace a cooker without part P. its probably designed to go direct into a cooker outlet (with appropriate MCB/fuse protection). or ifs its under 3KW it can go into a FCU or plug

Gas hobs and ovens take hardly any current, so a plug and socket is one of the best ways to do it. Even a cooker with a gas hob and electric oven usually only needs a plug. Leave your old cooker outlet in case someone wants to fit an electric cooker or hob in future.

You can also fit with an FCU and flex outlet, and certainly this is the neatest way to do the extractor fan. You just have to be able to get at the switch easily to turn it off in case of trouble or emergency, and it must be obvious which switch to user (if not, apply a label).

Don't try to poke the flexes from more than one appliance into a single plug or flex outlet.

wumpty said:
I rang a Corgi fitter who said he couldn't fix up the electrics to feed the ignition/lights/timer as he is not Part P yet. I did explain the sockets were already installed. The old appliances run from plug and socket, whereas the new stuff came with no plugs attached.

This might sound silly, but do you need to be Part P in order to fit plugs to appliances, or is the Corgi chap just covering his back, and am I able to do this bit myself?
There is no such thing as "being Part P" - Part P is the title of one of the parts of the Building Regulations, so you can't be one of those.

OK - yes - we know what you mean, but it's just as daft as saying that a builder is Part A.

Sponsored Links
andy said:
AFAIK, you can replace a cooker without part P. its probably designed to go direct into a cooker outlet (with appropriate MCB/fuse protection). or ifs its under 3KW it can go into a FCU or plug
1) Part P of the Building Regulations applies to all work on low voltage or extra-low voltage fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter in dwellings.

2) Not all work is notifiable, but whilst it may not have been the intention of the Organisation of Dozy Penpushing Morons who drew up the legislation, what it actually says is that installing a fixed (i.e. built-in) cooker or hob or oven, in a kitchen is notifiable.

Would you ever get done for it? Probably more chance of winning Euromillions...

ban-all-sheds said:
Would you ever get done for it? Probably more chance of winning Euromillions...

I played two lines last night, missed every single number :evil: ... now wheres me screwdriver, time to do some notifiable work without notifying... :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
2) Not all work is notifiable, but whilst it may not have been the intention of the Organisation of Dozy Penpushing Morons who drew up the legislation, what it actually says is that installing a fixed (i.e. built-in) cooker or hob or oven, in a kitchen is notifiable.

ha ha, my cooker's on wheels and has a plug.

That's the way to do it! :eek:

Adam_151 said:
I played two lines last night, missed every single number :evil: ... now wheres me screwdriver, time to do some notifiable work without notifying... :LOL:
Yup - no early retirement for you.

I was in a customer's office one Friday afternoon, as people were leaving, and one guy was obviously removing all of his personal effects. As he left, someone said "See you Monday, Dave". "Hope not" was his reply.

I asked what it was all about, and apparently he would clear all of his stuff away every Friday, because if he won the lottery he wasn't going back for anything, not even for a few minutes to collect the photos of his kids etc...

Thanks guys for your help.

.. Now wheres me screwdriver, schtum schtum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back