Fitting a Replacement Woven, Hessian backed Carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to attempt to fit an un-patterned carpet to my quite small, light traffic, rectangular porch (1020 mm x 2256mm). The grippers and underlay are in place. The porch has two doorways, one of which is set into one of the long walls, with a rectangular column either side of the doorway. The carpet will need stretching because despite being laid out flat for a few days it still has a few rumples due to being in a roll for ages.
I intend to cut the carpet leaving the advised margin of 100mm all round. The carpet must be laid with the rumples/roll marks across the narrow dimension of the porch. My main concern is how to deal with the “relief cuts” needed to allow the carpet to lie into the alcove of the doorway such that when the carpet is stretched, the relief cuts will, not be pulled away from the correct position.
Oh, and which wall of the porch should I start to lay/
I am retired, so have the rest of my life to get this done and looking forward to the challenge. I have read all the tips and tricks on the Web as well as other material so expect the job to be very challenging.
Grateful for any advice you can give. Please don’t suggest a professional as I’ve already invested in a kicker etc.
Many thanks
David707

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back