FITTING A SHOWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
QUESTION:

IN MY OLD HOUSE THE SHOWER WAS FITTED ON A 30AMP RING FROM THE EMERSION HEATER, WITH A PULL CORD ISOLATOR IN THE BATHROOM.

CAN YOU STILL DO THIS IN NEW HOUSES OR HAS THE REGULATIONS CHANGED, AS MY DAUGHTERS BATHROOM IS A LONG WAY FROM THE CONSUMER UNIT TO COMPLETELY FIT A NEW FEED

Sponsored Links
Electric showers should NEVER be on the ring, if it was on the ring it was wrong, neither should immersion heaters be on the ring really (but thats liveable with, showers on the ring arn't)

A separate Radial circuit should be provided for an electric shower, and no offence, but from your above post, I would doubt your ability to be able to install a shower in a competant manner and must therefore recommend you engage the services of a local electrician. Also, this work now comes under the building regulations and therefore must be notified to the local council

Also, please check the space above your left hand shift key on your keyboard, there should be a button there that will produce interesting results if you press it...

KELLYS56 said:
IN MY OLD HOUSE THE SHOWER WAS FITTED ON A 30AMP RING FROM THE EMERSION HEATER, WITH A PULL CORD ISOLATOR IN THE BATHROOM.
Do you mean an electric shower or a power shower (pump only)? You wouldn't normally have a 15L+ domestic immersion heater on a 30A ring final circuit, it is the norm to have them on their own 15A/16A (depending on element kw rating) radial circuit.

HI THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

THE SHOWER IS ELECTRIC

THE EMERSION FEED COMES FROM THE CONSUMER UNIT WITH A 30 AMP TRIP

THANKS KEVIN

Sponsored Links
KELLYS56 said:
HI THANKS FOR THE INPUT.
But you chose to ignore the bit about the caps lock key :?:

THE SHOWER IS ELECTRIC
Ok

THE EMERSION FEED COMES FROM THE CONSUMER UNIT WITH A 30 AMP TRIP
Domestic immersion heaters are rarely anything but 3kw, is yours more powerful, if not, why is it on a 30A circuit, or is it spured off the ring via an FCU

FORGOT TO SAY ITS A 15KW SHOWER NO PUMP
Are you sure? where did you get it from, I'm pretty sure no one makes a shower that powerful, it'd need a dedicated 63A circuit with 16mm² cable if thats the case, oh and not that many domestic CUs take 63A breakers, they are available for hager CUs and probably Mem, merlin gerin, etc, but most makes of CU stop at 50A

KELLYS56 said:
YES YOUR QUITE RIGHT, ITS A 10.5 KW SHOWER

That sounds more likely to me, in that case you'll be needing a 10mm² cable on a 45A MCB (or 50A if 45A is not available for your board), whatever you do it **MUST NOT** be connected to the ring, or the immersion heater circuit

Oh, and don't forget that this work is notifiable to your local building control office

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back