Fitting architrave when plaster is proud of door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title. Standered 45mm taper architrave, the plaster in some places is 2-3mm proud of the door frame/lining. (This is what the original architrave I have removed was fastened /bodged onto)

Do I rebate the architrave over the plaster so I can get it to sit flush on the frame. (Will this cause a problem fitting skirting?)

Bring out the door with wood. (Whats best to fill the 2mm step - can only see strip wood in 4mm)

Fit it as best as I can and fill gaps where they appear with caulk.

Any better options?

Will all be painted when done.

Sponsored Links
1. Cut back the proud plaster where the architrave will gi using a Stanley knife and old chisel. Fit architrave. Fill to edges of architrave to make good.

2. Cut thin strips of material and fix to front on door casing to build it out, ideally step back 5 to 10mm. Fix architraves to this, again stepped back. This "double reveal" avoide the inevitable cracking joints that otherwise might occur

3. Rebate the backs of the architraves with a power planer

All three work, but in your case I'd opt for number one as being the least work

Put a few 2/3mm packing pieces on the frame, fit the architrave, fill the wall gap with caulk, and fill the door frame gap with 2 part wood filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back