Fitting ceiling light - drill from above...or below?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to move a light fitting from right next to the window (why the hell it was placed here I don't know...) to the centre of the room.
I intended to fit 5 halogen downlights as with the living room below, but that's never a quick job is it!!
So instead I'm adding a 4 light strip (mains halogens) in the centre which will suit the room fine (I've never got on with ordinary bulbs...don't know what it is, but they depress me somewhat :( )
I'll then add a dimmer switch on the wall (the existing switch looks at least 30 years old and needs replacing).

*As an aside, can I confirm that these lights will count as 4 on the lighting loop as opposed to 1? They'll never be used fully lit - we'll end up like David Dickenson, such is the brightness of halogens!

Oh, the original point; I've marked the spot on the ceiling (top bedroom) where I want the light/s to be fitted. I've located it in the loft also (right next to a beam so I can screw the fitting on...question (and this might partially belong in the builders/decorating threads) is it best practice to drill down from above - I'll be exactly right then, otherwise a ropey beam tester job from below (difficult on these old ceilings due to the wooden slats in which the plaster has been laid).
My concern is that from above I may be liable to knacker the surround ceiling a little when I drill down.
Cheers...I got there in the end!

Sponsored Links
Northbeach said:
I am going to move a light fitting from right next to the window (why the hell it was placed here I don't know...)

An oldish house? They used to fit them there because with the light on, and curtains open, you can stand starkers in the middle of the room and barely(!) be seen from outside.

Northbeach said:
*As an aside, can I confirm that these lights will count as 4 on the lighting loop as opposed to 1? They'll never be used fully lit - we'll end up like David Dickenson, such is the brightness of halogens!

If it's one light fitting, that has 4 bulbs, then it's one light.

Northbeach said:
Oh, the original point; I've marked the spot on the ceiling (top bedroom) where I want the light/s to be fitted. I've located it in the loft also (right next to a beam so I can screw the fitting on...question (and this might partially belong in the builders/decorating threads) is it best practice to drill down from above - I'll be exactly right then, otherwise a ropey beam tester job from below (difficult on these old ceilings due to the wooden slats in which the plaster has been laid).

Since you don't have plasterboard ceilings, you really do need to be next to a joist. Drilling from above may be best - but you can test a hole by drilling very small ( a couple of mil) and if it's in the wrong place it's no bother to pop a bit of filler in the unwanted hole.

You can drill anywhere. The trick is to then lay a batten down between the joists, nailed to the joists, to support the light in your chosen position. Lath and Plaster does complicate this slightly, due to there not being an even surface to lay the batten on.

If your wiring is 30 years old, it could do with inspecting.

What do you mean by "these lights will count as 4 on the lighting loop"? They'll count as 200 watts, yes, as opposed to 50. ;)

Lights were traditionally fitted near the window in bedrooms for 2 reasons.
1. so as not to cause "embarrasing" shadows on the curtains
2. to more closely mimic daylight.

Oh and you need a 400w dimmer.

Sponsored Links
If it's one light fitting, that has 4 bulbs, then it's one light.

What do you mean by "these lights will count as 4 on the lighting loop"? They'll count as 200 watts, yes, as opposed to 50.

Trouble is we have only one loop for the lighting upstairs and downstairs...on the up side we have halogens everywhere but aside from the bathroom (that's another query I have) they're all dimmed quite low - the light points where we want it to, lamps taking up the 'slack'! I think I must have OCD of some kind...I have to have just that 'right light'!

An oldish house? They used to fit them there because with the light on, and curtains open, you can stand starkers in the middle of the room and barely(!) be seen from outside.

They were some right pervs in post war britain eh? :)

You can drill anywhere. The trick is to then lay a batten down between the joists, nailed to the joists, to support the light in your chosen position. Lath and Plaster does complicate this slightly, due to there not being an even surface to lay the batten on.

I can actually get away with using the joist to fix the fitting onto, there's enough gap to drill the hole immediately next to the joist thereby hiding the wiring...I hope.

Aye, a new fuse box was added I'd say around 8 years ago but the set up is very old...we have tons of lecy equipment but only one single socket per room (except the modernised kitchen). I have extended a double in the living room on a spur but at this time unsure as to how I would tackle additional sockets (on fuse boxes)....again another query (I have some cracking lecy issues to run by you folks!).

400w dimmer - these pretty standard? I'm sure I fitted one downstairs on a similar set up...

Cheers folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back