Fitting Dimmer Switch to Mains Wired Wall Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 way spotlight fitted to the wall to which I want to connect a dimmer switch. At the moment the lights are just wired directly to a standard plug and plugged directly to a mains wall socket with a standard light switch, connected on the live wire in between.
I have bought a dimmer switch but the instructions are really only for connecting to a standard lighting circuit. They say to connect the Live to the L1 connection and the neutral to the C connection. In my case this does not make sense. Would I just connect the live feed from the mains plug to L1 and continue the live wire from C to the light Live connection, with the neutral and earth wired directly from the lights to the plug?

I hope this makes sense, as I'm really confused!

Sponsored Links
if you followed those instuctions it would go bang as soon as you turn on the switch. All you have to do is to unplug the light from the mains, remove the switch yo have and connect the new switch (using the two wires that were going to the old switch )across C and L1 it does not matter which way round.

But this switch is not a light switch feeding from the house lighting circuit, it is one I put inline with an old light plugged into the mains, so that I had a simple on-off switch. It worked fine. But I now wish to put in a dimmer instead of an on-off switch.

So all I have are Live, Neutral and Earth from the mains plug, and Live, Neutral and Earth from the light unit. So how do I wire that to L1 and C connections on the dimmer switch?

I do realise what you mean, i incorectly assumed you had the other wires still connected.

Connect the neutral to neutral (blue to blue) earth to earth (green /yellow to green /yellow) the live (brown from plug) should be connected to L1 and the other brown to Common

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer. that's the only way that made sense to me, but's it's nice to have it conformed before I try it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back