fitting new worktops and removing sink question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace my worktops , but wanted to know is there a way that I can isolate the hot and cold pipes under the sink without draining down the system ? I will be refitting the sink so just want to disconnect the sink to get the existing worktops out and put new in.

Any think I should look out for or is it straight forward.First time doing this so any advice regarding sink removal is welcome i.e. any pit falls..

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Assuming there are no local isolating valves (which you may wish to install once you have isolated the supply ;)) then turn off the mains at the stopcock should turn off the cold tap as well as the hot if you have a combi boiler (you didn't say) and sticking a carrot into the pipe at the bottom of the cold water tank (if you have one, you didn't say ;)) should do the trick.

Remember to fit those isolator taps and then you can turn the mains on and ramove the carrot.

When you have cut the hole out for the sink, get some silicon and smeart in into the cut edges to prevent possible water damage in the future.

Hi thanks for the advice.

Yeah sorry should have mentioned that there are no isolating valves and no combi bolier .

I was hoping that there might have been a valve, that you could buy that would just cut into the existing pipe work ,that would just cut the water off while i removed the sink then just turn the valve back on after sink is re fitted.

Surprised that no valve exists that would do this .

You can freeze the pipes. Freezing kits come with instructions as to how long the various pipe sizes take to freeze and how long they stay frozen. You could then freeze the pipes and fit the isolation valves without isolating the supplies.

Freezing is usually an option where shutting off the water supply is not practical, as they cost money so usually isolation is preferred. And if you do not have the confidence or technical ability to turn off the hot and cold supplies then freezing may be a bit daunting.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked carefully for isolation tap? often in strange places, if old terraced property often under floorboards by front door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back