fitting ridge tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi could anyone tell me how ridge tiles are fitted with cement . I have heard before how you can use a frame to get them all level any info and pictures would be usefull
thanks col

Sponsored Links
place the fist ridge tile dry and central on the apex. scratch a mark with your trowel at the seating points.

place two parallel beads of mortar at these scratch marks. you will also need a heap of mortar at each end of the tile too. its common practice to lay a small flat piece of tile at the apex to prevent the mortar being lost down the inside of the tiles.

also if your tiles are heavily profiled, some roofers bed a tile fillet in these troughs too. it saves on mortar and helps prevent slump.

repeat this along the ridge. if you have a cut at the end, fix this cut one full tile in, thus leaving a full tile at the end.

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I thought I would takle re-fixing the ridge tiles on my garage roof. They are 'half round' and fixed onto the ridge, with 'corrugated' roof tiles. I have noticed that the mortar has started to flake off where I finished it off neatly round the 'dips' in the corrugations.

I just used a sand/ cement mix, should I have put some form of additive in with it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back