Fitting Salus RT500BC - as easy as it sounds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber suggested I could change my wired timer/thermostat by fitting a Salus RT500BC - it replaces the round mechanical timer in the boiler's faceplate (Vokera Compact).

The documentation says it takes about a minute to fit, and doesn't even have any 'wiring' as such, just small metal wire ends that slot into the existing boiler fitting. I found a youtube video showing the installation but can't access it at the moment - it might be this one:

Is it worth getting someone in to fit this or am I okay to do it myself? Am happy wiring plugs/changing ceiling roses etc, but wouldn't be able to test any circuits/connections. To be honest, it doesn't look like there'd be much to test though...

Sponsored Links
It all depends on your boiler and its wiring/control. But yeah they are usually pretty easy to install. Some boilers though offer no access to the electronics without breaking regulations about accessing areas within the boiler without being gas safe registered (i.e. qualified). Do you know the exact make/model of your boiler?

It all depends on your boiler and its wiring/control. But yeah they are usually pretty easy to install. Some boilers though offer no access to the electronics without breaking regulations about accessing areas within the boiler without being gas safe registered (i.e. qualified). Do you know the exact make/model of your boiler?

Pretty sure it's a Vokera Compact 24SE - I've taken the front/lid off before, but the control panel is a grey strip in the middle, don't yet know how that would be removed. The demo video I saw had a boiler with a flip-down control panel that unscrewed from the main unit, so maybe the Vokera isn't as easy to switch as that one was.

That boiler looks like it doesn't have any built in thermostat so I assume you currently have one externally to the boiler? Or have the mechanical timer add-on that fits to the bottom of the boiler? I'm not sure if the RT500BC is going to work with that boiler as it looks like its one of those that are meant to fit into the boiler casing? (can you upload a photo of your boiler?) If it doesn't then the Salus RT500RF should be suitable and will fit to the wall near the boiler and provide a volt free switch to call for heat.

This is the manual for that boiler, page 26 details the wiring for thermostats so this should help http://cdn0.vokera.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/compact-24se-user-and-installation-manuals.pdf

Sponsored Links
Yeah it has a mechanical timer wired in and on the wall next to it, and a wire then going to a thermostat in our hallway. Plumber was fairly certain it was compatible with our boiler.

edit: I see what you mean - the manual for the Compact 24SE shows a different front - we have a gauge on the left, a temp dial for the water and heating with a on/reset dial in the middle, and one of those round notch things for setting on/off times. So maybe a different model to the one I thought.

Last edited:
Here's the installer manual which details the connections: https://www.plumbase.co.uk/link/1/vokcom24_22534_t.PDF Page 14 shows you how to get to the electrical connections needed to wire in the thermostat. Page 32 shows the connections needed for the thermostat.

I cannot say if that Salus model you quoted would fit as I don't know the measurements of the existing one or the Salus one, but it might be a simple replacement. If not it would need mounting on the wall/cupboard next to the boiler.

Here's the installer manual which details the connections: https://www.plumbase.co.uk/link/1/vokcom24_22534_t.PDF Page 14 shows you how to get to the electrical connections needed to wire in the thermostat. Page 32 shows the connections needed for the thermostat.

No, looking at that I'll get the plumber to do it when he's capping off a few pipes - I know from experience that there's only one way to get these things right but plenty of ways to get them wrong. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back