fitting spots into ceiling ( low energy or full power)

M

marsaday

I am converting my attic and in the bedroom the ceiling will be flattened off and so there will be a void above that. In here i will use 2 low volt spots - simple.

However in the bathroom on the sloping ceilng i want to use one spot, but the space behind the spot will be a bit limited. I can get a spot in there, but would prefer to use a normal spot.

So is there any problem with using a larger watted bulb in this spot light and it being mains wired ?

I am thinking all is ok, but just wanted to see what others thought.

Before anyone says this, i do have a sparky doing the work for me and he isnt here for me to ask this question at the moment.

Sponsored Links
So is there any problem with using a larger watted bulb in this spot light and it being mains wired ?

Only that it will probably overheat, maybe destroy the fitting. Could even be a fire hazard so close to the rafters.

Then of course spotlights are not room lighters but spot lighters. They light spots in the room and not the whole room.

And in any room with a roof void above there are problems with maintaining the thermal insulation cover and stopping warm moist air getting into the cold space where condensation could rot things. The latter problem is particularly acute with bathrooms.

ventilation behind the spot area is good (bare slate)

I am thinking of doing away with this spot as i have a wall light and a light which will sit on a purlin lower down in the room. The room is only 1.5m x 2.2m so is not that big.

thnaks for the input it is useful to know

Sponsored Links
ventilation behind the spot area is good (bare slate)

As long as moisture condensing on the cold slate doesn't drip onto the spotlight. Cold water on a hot lamp ( unlikely if the fitting is well designed ) can mean a shattered lamp. Water on electrics can cause problems.

Too much water on a double insulated fitting can povide a route for electricity past the double insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back