Fitting TRV to Isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a central heating system installed a week or so ago. Couldn't fit the kitchen rad as the wall hadn't been plasterboarded. The guys ran the pipes and terminated them with isolators. They told me it was easy to attach the TRV to the isolator, but I can't see how to do it. The compression nut obviously won't attach to the isolator, as it has a threaded end. Is there an attachment I need to get to connect the two together? :oops:

They've also capped off the bathroom pipes ready for my towel rail. Instead of putting isolators on, they've put stop ends on (with isolators further down the pipe). Does the whole stop end come off, or do I leave the nut/olive there and only unscrew the actual end off?

Ta

Dave

Sponsored Links
You can't be a real plumber ....... Real plumbers moan & tut ........ Then moan some more ...... Rip stuff out ....... Put their new stuff in ....... Then insist they are right & adjust the bill skywards & hop up & down :eek:

Could try that

On the other hand you could ask the guy that did it what planet he thinks he's on ...... Turn the air blue with profanities ...... Generally stomp around & throw your toys outta the pram.

I have a great insight of the psychological attributes of the pipe bending fraternity.

The compression nut obviously won't attach to the isolator, as it has a threaded end. Is there an attachment I need to get to connect the two together? :oops:

picture?

do I leave the nut/olive there and only unscrew the actual end off?

yes

provided the nut fits

if it is a brass nut it will not look very beautiful on a chrome valve

Had a central heating system installed a week or so ago. Couldn't fit the kitchen rad as the wall hadn't been plasterboarded. The guys ran the pipes and terminated them with isolators. They told me it was easy to attach the TRV to the isolator, but I can't see how to do it. The compression nut obviously won't attach to the isolator, as it has a threaded end. Is there an attachment I need to get to connect the two together? :oops:

They've also capped off the bathroom pipes ready for my towel rail. Instead of putting isolators on, they've put stop ends on (with isolators further down the pipe). Does the whole stop end come off, or do I leave the nut/olive there and only unscrew the actual end off?

Ta

Dave

Plumbing is obviously not your forte

Ask the lads back to finish the job properly

Sponsored Links

Ta

Dave

Plumbing is obviously not your forte

Ask the lads back to finish the job properly

If plumbing was my forte, I probably wouldn't be asking for help on a DIY forum......Everyone has to start somewhere, unfortunately, I don't know what the correct terms are for some of the parts yet, so I've probably named them wrong.

John D, I will try and get some pictures tonight. Take your point about the brass nut, it would look terrible on a chrome towel rail, so I will remove the lot.

Thanks for your help.

Is there an attachment I need to get to connect the two together

A small piece of pipe?? im presuming

Have they told you to hang the rad yourself? i would tell them to get back out and finish, as allready mentioned.

I was thinking a small piece of pipe, but thought I might be over-complicating it :oops:

The heating was installed as an EAGA grant. As the house wasn't ready for them to finish, I told them to terminate the pipes and I'd hang the rad. I thought they would have put the TRV and LSV in place and just leat me connect the rad, but that's not what they did.

If plumbing was my forte, I probably wouldn't be asking for help on a DIY forum......Everyone has to start somewhere I don't know what the correct terms are for some of the parts yet, so I've probably named them wrong.

I was trying to politely say that this is not a good place to start. You are at beginner stage not DIYer stage. A walk into B&Q where you can talk to a plumber will be more beneficial to you. There you can point to fittings and explain what you have and what you need to do better than on here.

You will need to hang the rad, affix the valve and trv into it and then bring pipework from isolating valve to it.

A pic would help but I presume your plumbers have left the feeds for you to do this.

They couldn't line up the pipework without the rad in position. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back