Fitting wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to replace my wall lights. The new ones are metal cased and must be earthed but the cables for the existing lights do not contain an earth. Is there a way around this?

Sponsored Links
fumble2 said:
Is there a way around this?
Yes - replace the cables that go to the lights.

It may be that some twerp has cut back the earth in the cables, and you may be lucky enough to find that there is enough slack for you to pull more cable through and get at the earth. But don't bet on it.

Even if you replace the cables I would in any event be suspicious of an installation that had been worked on by the sort of person who would cut an earth back like that - who knows where else he may have left an earth disconnected because he didn't think he needed it?

It may be that your entire lighting system has no earth, in which case it would need entirely rewiring. How old is it?

But whatever you do you must not use those lights without earthing them.

Sponsored Links
thanks - that's what I thought but just wanted confirmation. The lights are in a garage conversion that was done in the 60's/70's and it looks like the existing lights have been there since then (none of them need an earth). There is no ceiling light so I'm not sure what circuit they've wired it into.

We only bought the house recently and will be getting an electrician in to check it all out soon so I'll leave it to him (there are lots of spurs added throughout the house - I think they've all been done properly but best to check).

Anyone know an electrician in Devizes area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back