Fix a broken chair leg (oregon pine)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I broken a leg of my wooden chair. The wood is oregon pine and it deserves more than being fixed with a duct tape.

broken part of the leg

rest of the chair

how does the pieces fit together

I don't know much about carpentry (we did a few things many years ago with my old man, but that was ages ago) and don't really have much tools in my possession - so I am asking for advice - how can I "properly" fix the leg,

*to make a strong joint
*and to keep the look of the chair

?

At first I was thinking about glueing up two broken pieces with wood glue - but would it hold? But the joint are will always be under stress (otherwise why would it be broken here?), so I though if I put the two mending plates (A&B as in the picture below) and a single screw (C) - that would hold the glued parts much better?

The mending plate A is on the inside and won't be visible, but the plate B will be on the outside and will not look good - but I don't think single screw C would hold the joint good enough.

I also feel that I am over-engineering this - so would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Just wood glue and clamps, plates of little use unless they span a joint and spit is too thin, it snapped due to the knot in the leg timber at it's weakest point.Personally I would bin it.

yep cheap poor quality timber constructed from staves[small bits off wood glued together] if you look at the leg in the background you can see the join between the timbers and the small contact area because off the curve

Sponsored Links
you might if there is enough room,drill holes for dowells then use poly glue clamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back