Fix post to wall, how to waterproof fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hope someone can help. I need to re-attach a post to a 3 ft wall for a washing line on a roof terrace. The post was taken down as there was water ingress into the flat below. The wall has now been made good/reconcreted. I want to make sure that new installation does not cause problems!!

Previously the 2 x 4 post was attached with two 6 inch bolts, plus some adhesive. I thought it might be better to use 4/5 shallower fixings (post fixing brackets or the like) spaced evenly along the fixable length using 1" screws. I would then like to cover the brackets and screws with some sort of waterproofing material, which can be over painted (or is already white) to match the white wall.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Ellesters

Sponsored Links
a couple of these, making sure that they are as long as you can get them without breaking all the way through the outer brickwork into the cavity etc.?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Steel+Anchors/d90/sd2040

I find these great for fixing posts to masonry. No need for plugs etc --- just drill the pilot hole then screw in with a ratchet and socket.

Then fill up the hole you made in the post with a suitably weatherproof sealant?

http://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhesives/building-sealants/cat850068

there are a few things on that page

do u mean the bolt or the Sleeve Anchor?

Sponsored Links
Hi all
New to the forum and looking for a bit of advice if that's ok.
I'm in the process of building a fence that'll link another fence to the side of my house.
Normally i would have sunk the posts (100x100x3.6mt) into the ground, but i cant due to drainage pipes just under the surface and foundations etc

(The reason why the fence needs to be so high is because the neighbours garden is about 3 ft higher than ours etc)

Anyway, i didnt want to attach one of the posts to the side of my house as we had a house before and you can end up getting the vibration noise (kids hitting ball of it) coming into the house etc.

So, the question is, would i be able to make a concrete base (using 2x2 slabs) and then fasten bolt down fence posts to it rather than sinking them in or attaching to house?
My concern would be that the fence might shift in the wind due to its height.
The ground that it's going onto is just hard packed gravel (with the drainage pipes running under it)
Distance from fence to house is about 1200mm

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back