Fixing a glass splashback behind a hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have recently purchased a glass splashback to fix behind the hob to keep the clean wall. I opted for this rather than tiling as I have seen these used before and look quite smart.

I received the splashback which is hardened glass and has 4 holes pre-drilled.

Only issue is that I now realise that having scanned the wall for electric cables using a detector, I don't think I am going to be able to safely drill the holes necessary to fix it. Really should have thought of that first!!

Does anyone know of any good non-screw methods to fix this splashback? It is a clear glass one so don't want anything that is going to look bad. I am considering using something like no more nails at the points where the holes would be - then I can fix the chrome screw caps into the holes and onto the no-more-nails so that it looks smart. But wondering if anyone can think of a better alternative.

Thanks,
Rob.

Sponsored Links
Hi Deluks..

Thanks for the post.

Painting the back might work - do you know what kind of paint I should use? The wall just has emulsion on, but not sure if that would work.

There are kitchen cupboards either side of the panel so I was also thinking about screwing sideways into those and using a clip to keep the glass against the wall - not sure if the one in the link you said will do that or not - will have to investigate...

Dont think painting will help, as I dont think the paint will adhere to the glass.
You could get double sided sticky pads, they do them for mirrors, if you put it on the glass neat & tidy it might look ok & you could still put your chrome mirror screw cap over the holes.
Dont know how the double side tape will deal with the heat.

Those brackets that delux suggested could look ok as long as you can get the screws safely in.

Sponsored Links
Most wood paints will adhere, satinwood will be alright and comes in loads of colours.

We have done this in several places around the house, it works really well.

Any pad or adhesive will of course be visible so you need to paint the back of the glass. I have always got the back etched for this reason but I reckon that if you get it absolutely spotlessly clean with glass cleaner and clean cotton cloth, an emulsion or preferably gloss paint will stick fine. We used the same colour paint as the wall but of course the paint will always have a slight greeny tinge through the glass. I did it with emulsion on a thin strip of Perspex to finish off a painted splashback and it worked just fine there as well.

Then stick it to the wall with silicon. Simples.

I've seen back-painted glass used in showers in place of tiles and it looks fantastic; it was done with conventional grout though so to avoid movement I guess they might have stuck it in with No Nails or something more rigid than silicon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back