Fixing corbels to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there a proper way? Want to add some small 8” corbels the the underside of the gable end. More for aesthetics but I suppose will offer support to.

I can see how gallows brackets could easily be screwed due to them having an accessible back, but corbels are solid. How do you go about fixing in place?

Sponsored Links
The gable end normally continues up from a way directly below.
If the brickwork does need to step out that would be corbelled brickwork, but that's pretty much a word for laying the next course of bricks so it overhangs the previous one. You wouldn't really do it as an afterthought

Corbeled brickwork is done as the wall is built, not tacked on afterwards.

The only "underside of a gable end" I can think of are the foundations.

A photo of some sort may help.

Sorry, wooden corbels. The gable end extends 8” over the wall. A very small canopy.
A224B443-8167-4446-A81B-DFC1B6ADDBF0.png

Sponsored Links
wood corbls will give you the future maintaenance problem of repainting. they also look false like plastic window shutters

wood corbls will give you the future maintaenance problem of repainting. they also look false like plastic window shutters
You think? The barge board is going to be wood as are the exposed rafters. I’ve already signed up to painting maintenance. Plus I think they will be in keeping with the 20’s house.

in that case no problems. you can fix prepainted corbels in position by screwing throufgh the barge boardan slant screwing thro predrilled holes in the corbels into wall plugs with say 75mm x 10's galv screws

I would suppose it would be classed as Edwardian style even though it is slightly after the true Edwardian period being build in 1925. But I imagine the style carried on after the Edwardian reign.

What do you think building style wise? Photos from estate agent pics a year ago. You can see the outhouse on the right side that I’ve removed to do the new extension.

Attachments

• 2937F3CA-ACE7-4D69-BE0A-F89038D59FBE.png
    2937F3CA-ACE7-4D69-BE0A-F89038D59FBE.png
    967.9 KB · Views: 144

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back