fixing hairline cracks in render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So, first time post, and I am hoping for some advice on how to solve the problem of hairline cracks in the render on my flat.

It's an old building with solid walls, so the cracks led to some pretty bad penetrating damp over the winter - there are a lot of hairline cracks on the front and back, and some larger ones on the back as well.

First off, I'm looking for a cost effective solution and I plan to do the work myself, so anything expensive like re-rendering with a lime render is out. Also, it's a 2 story building (I only own the top half) and I can't see the landlord downstairs forking out much for maintainance!!

My plan so far is:

1. Patch the larger cracks at the rear and paint with a bitumen based damp proof membrane (it looks like something like that has been done before)

2. Paint the hairline cracks with a cement wash OR Wickes water seal to seal them

3. Paint it with masonry paint

Thoughts? Any advice would be great as I don't want to be de-moulding my walls all winter again!

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back