Fixing into Thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting up a stud framework on the wall and want it to stay up there as im hanging the tv n bits off there.

Ill need to drive through 38mm timber 12.5mm plasterboard dry lined onto thermalite style blocks.

My thoughts were to use some 10x120 Rawplug Frame fixings and no more nails it also, thoughts anyone? Should i go longer? I want to this mother to stay put.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll be surprised how well Themalite holds. No need to go OTT. It's only shear forces after all.

Hi There,
I would agree
It will cost a fortune in frame fixers to do that.Try fixing a batten from floor to ceiling with 4 or 5 size 10 x 4" screws, using brown plugs and a 6.5mm hole instead of the 7.0mm they suggest on the pack.
I bet you can't pull it off.
Work out your studs so your TV bracket etc screws into wood not fresh air and fix with size 10 screws choosing a length which grabs most of the stud, allowing for the thickness of the TV bracket and 12mm plasterboard.
If you're really concerned about the weight of your TV put more screws in the studs around where it is going.
I worked in a kid's home a couple of years ago where the TV kept "falling" off the wall and I ended up putting M6 allthread through the wall from the other side and plastering over the nuts. Little b*****s couldn't get it off then!!!!

alternatively to the plasterboard, use 18mm plywood and filler the gaps and paper it.....

Sponsored Links
Hi There,
I would agree
It will cost a fortune in frame fixers to do that.Try fixing a batten from floor to ceiling with 4 or 5 size 10 x 4" screws, using brown plugs and a 6.5mm hole instead of the 7.0mm they suggest on the pack.
I bet you can't pull it off.
Work out your studs so your TV bracket etc screws into wood not fresh air and fix with size 10 screws choosing a length which grabs most of the stud, allowing for the thickness of the TV bracket and 12mm plasterboard.
If you're really concerned about the weight of your TV put more screws in the studs around where it is going.
I worked in a kid's home a couple of years ago where the TV kept "falling" off the wall and I ended up putting M6 allthread through the wall from the other side and plastering over the nuts. Little b*****s couldn't get it off then!!!!

Thanks for the advice. This is what i would of done had the upper cabinet not had the requirement to be floating above the lower base. Can't really have two timbers running up the wall, unless i build a false wall which would be more expensive than a pack of frame fixings, good tip on the 6.5 drill cheers!

Hi There,
I would agree
It will cost a fortune in frame fixers to do that.

???
Do you go to B&Q ?
Pack of 10 8mmx120mm frame fixings from toolstation = 1 pound and 32 pence. Screwfix similar prices.

I've done direct screwing and frame fixings - the fixings to hold better due to the bigger contact area.

Simon,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back