Fixing plasterboard straight onto wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed doors and architrave from a doorway between the lounge and dining room and am going to separate the two. I am using wooden struts to fill the gap and then plasterboard the whole width of the wall, either side. Can I attach plasterboard direct to the wall or are further batons required for the whole width.
Also can anyone recommend the best form of soundproofing material to fill in between the struts in the doorway?

Sponsored Links
You can't simply nail or screw the platserboard to the wall but you can dot and dab it with adhesive, if the room is already decorated though it may be easier to just batten the lot.

As for acoustic insulation you can use rockwool.

if you dont fancy dot n dab, there is a "new" product that comes in a can- a bit like expanding foam it apparently has enough to stick 2 x 8'x4' sheets, never tried it but might be worth a try?
Make sure your wall is free from any loose bits of old paper etc before using any adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back