fixing up metal window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a couple of window frames where the paint is in a very bad condition and needs to be stripped off and repainted i guess.

i started using a scraper to scrape off some of the damaged, peeling paint and have now gotten to the stuff which is still "stuck". what is my next best course of action...strip it off with some sort of paint stripper? or metal wool? or? i am a DIY newbie so learning as I go.

I believe the window frames are aluminium and have attached 2 pics.

Sponsored Links
Lovely single glazed Crittall windows :mad: As beloved by the London County Council for it`s social housing flats - Have you had a winter in there yet - you`ll have gallons of condensation laying on the windowcills . They are galvanised steel frames , within a wood surround - just feather the old paint with some glasspaper - then undercoat +gloss . They really need to be replaced with double glazed pvc ;) . You really don`t want to mess about with paint stripper - it`s evil noxious stuff

Thanks Nige, will give that a go. No, have not had a winter ... yet... although it appears summer is here again so ....

As we are only leaseholders we cannot alter the windows...however they are being replaced sometime between April 2012 and April 2013...so only 1 or 2 winters to bear!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back