Flaking paint under Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have removed the wallpaper from my kitchen in a new-ish house (Early 90s). Under the wallpaper there is a magnolia paint (I think) on top of the original plaster that has come off in places and remained in other places. This has created quite an uneven surface between where the paint remains and the plaster.

I do not want to paint over this as the uneveness would show through.

How would you advise resolving this problem as I imagine it is quite common. One thought I had was to try and remove all of the old paint to make the surface even again but that could take ages and I do not know what to use to remove the paint with.

Thanks,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the above post, was trying to post a pic for glenn, realised the link wasnt right, tried to delete post, but it wont let me. :rolleyes:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/ladydecorator/Olympusvarious11011.jpg

Is your surface like this?, this is a wall stripped of paper, and you can see part existing paint, and part plaster.

You might have to resign yourself to sanding it all down, and lining the walls.
Thats what I did in the end, admittidly I had to do some filling first to get a decent finish before I applied the lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that is exactly what it looks like.

So when you say sanding are you advising to sand off all the remaining paint or just the edges. Then you say to line the walls i presume you mean line them with paper, not sure I want to do this.

I am now thinking of getting the wall skimmed as the easiest way to resolve it.

Do all your jobs end up like that spicey? ;)

I would first try and see if its a non vinyl emulsion..if soo wash the remainder off with hot water and a scraper then re-paint

If it isnt id suggest scraping the worst off the sealing the walls with zinseer bin or polycell stain block...fill them..line then re paint.

Hi,

My walls are exactly like that...it was the dreaded wood chipped paper before. I've still got bits of wood stuck on the walls and ceilings which im gonna scrape off again. I dont want to skim it. I am going to put lining paper on the walls and then paint. I was thinking of scraping as much as poss and then hang lining paper with pva and water mixed ??? what do you guys think ? Also i want a crisp look but i dont think lining paper will give that will it ?

Well hung lining paper will give you a good base for emulsion and will cover a lot of minor defects, but don't assume all of them, so don't skimp on your prep. I wouldn't use less than 1400 and that should deal with most of the problems but you can go heavier. Just ensure once you've pasted you leave each drop for at least 3-5 mins before hanging (longer for the heavier 1700). I also caulk all wall/ceiling/skirtings and leave for 24 hours before painting

Not sure what you mean by "crisp" but the heavier lining papers can have a very slight texture to them. At the risk of being OTT I've come across hanging a second layer of 600-800 grade on top of the heavier paper to get an ultra smooth base - but that probably is a bit OTT!

Why PVA? Any decent wallpaper past is more than adequate and you'll probably end up with loss of adhesion when you paint.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I was thinking of scraping as much as poss and then hang lining paper with pva and water mixed ??? ?

:eek: PVA and water, why?

Sanding down the walls prior to papering will get rid of any bits of stuck paper.

I sometimes wonder if theres a secret PVA appreciation society in this country who start these rumours off.. :rolleyes:

K looks like il have to get the boys down to help sand the walls down in the whole house....its too much work but with a load of ppl it shouldnt be too bad. PVA with water coz i got advised that, even though i read it here not to do that. Is there any particular sand paper ? If not PVA then whats the best adhesive to use to quickly hang lining paper ?....btw thanks for all the info guys....im doing the whole house and no doubt il be visiting this website often. Im a bit of a diy enthusiast but not a pro.

Solvite, polycell or lap...ready mixed is quite good too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back