Flaking render around window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I preparation to paint the sill and rendered part around one of my sash windows. I've given the old flaky paint a good rub down.

In a few areas some fairly thick layers have come off and with it what appears to be a layer of render or whatever is underneath the paint. Other areas have minor cracks. See attached pics.

The flaking paint/render is probably about a 2mm thick layer that has flaked off but for the most part the area around the window to be reprinted is in good condition.

What can I do about this prior to repainting?

Is there any sort of exterior filler/patch repair product I can use before I repaint the area?

Thanks rob

View media item 84500

Sponsored Links
A cheap orbital sander would give you a better all round smoother surface. For stone, render and woodwork.

Buy good quality external paint - take some flakes to a professional paint store for identification - use two undercoats and a top coat. Dont try filling the patches or the cracks, that is, unless water is penetrating.

FWIW: I notice on the wall to the left thro the window i can see sulpherisation following a classical line from the lower ground floor fire back, going up vertical to just below the guttering & the chimney stack.

Sulpherisation is the darkened brickwork - dark due to the soot from unswept &/or unventilated flue(s) penetrating the brickwork. Its probably showing on the interior by now.

A cheap orbital sander would give you a better all round smoother surface. For stone, render and woodwork.

Buy good quality external paint - take some flakes to a professional paint store for identification - use two undercoats and a top coat. Dont try filling the patches or the cracks, that is, unless water is penetrating.

FWIW: I notice on the wall to the left thro the window i can see sulpherisation following a classical line from the lower ground floor fire back, going up vertical to just below the guttering & the chimney stack.

Sulpherisation is the darkened brickwork - dark due to the soot from unswept &/or unventilated flue(s) penetrating the brickwork. Its probably showing on the interior by now.

Thanks ree, I did some more research and ws thinking about trying this stuff
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...y/sd3169/Toupret+Murex+Exterior+Filler/p72427
However I may just take your advice and paint straight over with a decent primer and top coat.

Re that sulpherisation thing...that is the house next door to mine but thanks for pointing it out...I'd always wondered what that was. Other that penetrating the brick work and showing on the interior of a property, does it cause any other issues?

Sponsored Links
It is all round bad news - it will form acid and eat away at the flue lining and brickwork, and it will spread sideways thro any backing wall.

The chimney stack, being exposed to weather and sulpherisation can degrade fast to the point of eventual collapse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back