Flashing energy-saver bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of energy-saver bulbs fitted to standard on/off switches. On turning them off, they flash regularly for several minutes. Anyone got any ideas why this happens?

Sponsored Links
At a guess, probably something do with the floursecent gases still energised.........but I dont know for sure.....some of the big boys might know.

Horsecarver said:
I have a couple of energy-saver bulbs fitted to standard on/off switches. On turning them off, they flash regularly for several minutes. Anyone got any ideas why this happens?

When you say 'flash', do you mean a little tiny flash inside the bulb, or full intensity flash as though it's still turned on?

If it's a little flash, i'd go with il78's explaination.

If it's a 'full intensity' flash, it sounds like the on/off switch might be dodgy.

Sponsored Links
It's a regular flash, every 4 or 5 seconds and quite bright. I've not hung around long enough to see whether the flashes just stop, or gradually reduce in intensity, although they do stop at some time. I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the fact that the circuits that these bulbs are on are 2-way switching. We've got other energy-savers around the house on single switching circuits and they don't flash.

Horsecarver said:
It's a regular flash, every 4 or 5 seconds and quite bright. I've not hung around long enough to see whether the flashes just stop, or gradually reduce in intensity, although they do stop at some time. I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the fact that the circuits that these bulbs are on are 2-way switching. We've got other energy-savers around the house on single switching circuits and they don't flash.

It most certainly is the switch that is dodgy (though I doubt it is due to it being 2way).

Assuming the circuit is bog standard without faults, i would try replacing the switch.

before you change the swithc what happens if you swap the lamps for one from else where in the house?

I'm sorry if i didn't mention this.

I would have thought you would have done tghe obvious and checked to see if it was just the bulb.

I have exactly the same 'problem'?....... My energy saver bulb gently flashes away when it's turned off, and like the original poster, I haven't hung around to see how long it flashes for or whether it fades or stops....
My light fitting is within a foot of a ceiling mounted smoke detector. I wondered if it's some sort of induced current from that.
By the way, it's on the landing, is wired up to two way switching, the switches are in good order (It's far too regular to be faulty switch, and no other bulb fitted flashes) It runs all night, every night so is often on for 10-12 hours at a time, and I have never really bothered about it.
If I'm left alone in the house (very rare) I will throw the RCD and see if it flashes when all electrics (except the battery smoke detector) are off.
I'll post results.
Flashbang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back