Flashing over a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had new windows fitted. Some of these - under modern concrete lintels - are flush with the outside face of the wall, or only slightly recessed.

Other older windows under brick arches have a metal strip over the top to shed rain away.

Should I do the same over the concrete windows ?

If so:-
What metal?
How far should they project?
How far above the window should they be - directly (below the lintel), immediately above the lintel, or a course above that?
How deep should they be inset (how deep do I rake out)?

Or should I not bother !

Sponsored Links
Adding a drip strip is not really necessary as the silicone around the windows does the job of keeping the rain out without the need for anything above.

Thanks for that - I'd never thoguht about that - what DID they do to seal between window frame and brick before the days of silicone sealant? Just lime mortar, I guess? Putty?

We do find that rain tends to sit on the top of the opening sash, held by surface tension between sash and frame until you open the window, when it drips from the frame. :(

Similarly at the bottom, so there's always water there when you open the window.

No water actually comes into the house past the seals, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back