Flat roof timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm in a position where a contracter has filled a flat roof but has used inadequate timbers.
The roof has a 5.7m span and he's used 45mm x 220mm at 40cm centres.
Looking at a table from BS 5286-7.2 there is only one timber that will span 5.764m at 40cm cetres and thet's 72 x 220 at a load of less than 0.5N.
Questions...
1. Is it acceptable to bolt on additonal timbers to the existing ones.
2. Also, there are three loads specified in the table, less than 0.5N will allow a weight of up to 51kg/m2.
Its easy to find date on OSB, fibre glass and snow weights, but does anybody what depth of snow to allow for in Leicester?
It could make a big difference if the thickness you need to allow for is greater than say 25cm, it would push you into the greater than 0.5 N & less than 0.75N range.
There's no timber specified at those loads for 5.7m span. I would possibly be looking at having to install steels (very difficult since there ar roof windows).
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
I built one recently, and I used 12x2 timbers over the same span and its fine.
You can add timbers to what you already have but I can't see that being easy!

Hi catlad, thanks for the responce.
12x2 inches would be around (300 x 50)mm. Sorry, but my table is metric.
That size is not on the copy of the table from BS 5286-7.2 that I have. I could extrapolate.
Did your 12"x2"x5.7m span meet Building Control approval OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back