Fletton bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I want to paint a house but have just discovered that you cant paint flettons. Just wonder if anyone knows how you can find out if they are flettons or not. they do look a bit like london bricks but I read that flettons are grey on the inside but these are red all the way through. Or can anyone think where I could take a sample to find out. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can paint any brick.

However, the degree of success will depend upon many things, i.e. preparation, elevation exposure, paint quality, weather conditions prior during and after application, condition of masonry etc.

The big question is WHY WOULD YOU? :confused:

I prefer houses to be painted in watercolour and not oils - it just softens the scene more

Sponsored Links
Hello, I want to paint a house but have just discovered that you cant paint flettons. Just wonder if anyone knows how you can find out if they are flettons or not. they do look a bit like london bricks but I read that flettons are grey on the inside but these are red all the way through. Or can anyone think where I could take a sample to find out. Many thanks.
Plain flettons don`t take paint well , but most are sand faced anyway . Post a pic. here and if it`s a brick not in a wall - show us the frog :eek: flettons have a distinctive frog.

I prefer houses to be painted in watercolour and not oils - it just softens the scene more
I think Addie H. preferred that too , he wasn`t much of an artist , and neither was Winnie C. either.

I cut a brick out today and It says redland fletton in the frog. Apparently flettons need to breathe and thats why youre not meant to paint em. So maybe its not just a case of them not taking paint well but it will do them harm? Its a new one on me I have to admit. Bit of a shame as the house looks a bit naff 70's. I may risk it on the garage.

ICI made a report on why Flettons shouldn't be painted, but you could try a limewash.
The faces tend to spall even quicker when painted with normal masonry paint.

Use a Limewash on a 70s built house? get a life just use a breathable exterior paint anad as has been said why would you want to paint it anyway.

Use a Limewash on a 70s built house? get a life just use a breathable exterior paint anad as has been said why would you want to paint it anyway.
If you read the report it includes modern breathable paints not to be used.

Ime well aware of the probs with LBC bricks the only reason they are used nowadays is to match up for extensions hence there high price for what they are, i thought they were now owned by Hansen didnt know Redland ever had anything to do with LBC .Ithought FLETTON was the name of somewhere in the Midlands where the clay came from and sole rights to LBC, sorry been out of the countrry for a while so could be wrong, have you got a link for that ICI report o would be interested to read it.

lucius,
Sorry but the link I had doesn't seem to work anymore. Most of the info seemed to come from BRE information paper IP22/79, which is probably a rip off at about a tenner to tell you which bricks shouldn't be painted.
Flettons were made by Redland, LBC and another firm up to the early 70's, until LBC took over doing the lot.
One of the clay pits is now used to keep 30,000 great crested newts.
My daughter is going up with the BBC to do a programme on them.
Every year they have to be counted to make sure none have been taken.

lucius,
Sorry but the link I had doesn't seem to work anymore. Most of the info seemed to come from BRE information paper IP22/79, which is probably a rip off at about a tenner to tell you which bricks shouldn't be painted.
Flettons were made by Redland, LBC and another firm up to the early 70's, until LBC took over doing the lot.
One of the clay pits is now used to keep 30,000 great crested newts.
My daughter is going up with the BBC to do a programme on them.
Every year they have to be counted to make sure none have been taken.
Nice one mate look after them, cant think of the name of the other firm who made them for the minute but it will come to me they had a double rounded frog in them.

Why cant you paint flettons?

Stuart is near enough in what he has said. If you read the technical literature on masonry paint of any reputable paint manufacturer they will tell you that it is not advisable to paint fletton commons, and they normally refer to BRE IP22/79. There is also another BS digest, from memory 6150/2006 with regard to painting commons. In a nut shell the Oxford belt of clay from Ampthill/ Bletchley to Peterborough has a high carbon content plus an addition of oil which cause kiss marks when the bricks are fired and for some reason that we do not know the kiss marks reject masonry paint.
IN 1968 LBC merged with Marston and produced 88% of the commons made, Redland Fletton 8% and Whittlesea Brick 4%. In 1971 LBC aquired both Redland and Witllesea. Both the last two companies were shut down in 1974, to the best of our knowledge.
We see no problem with LBC bricks what so ever. In our opinion they are reasonably priced, 70% still go to new housing and 30% to the extension market.
Regards oldun

Why cant you paint flettons?

Stuart is near enough in what he has said. If you read the technical literature on masonry paint of any reputable paint manufacturer they will tell you that it is not advisable to paint fletton commons, and they normally refer to BRE IP22/79. There is also another BS digest, from memory 6150/2006 with regard to painting commons. In a nut shell the Oxford belt of clay from Ampthill/ Bletchley to Peterborough has a high carbon content plus an addition of oil which cause kiss marks when the bricks are fired and for some reason that we do not know the kiss marks reject masonry paint.
IN 1968 LBC merged with Marston and produced 88% of the commons made, Redland Fletton 8% and Whittlesea Brick 4%. In 1971 LBC aquired both Redland and Witllesea. Both the last two companies were shut down in 1974, to the best of our knowledge.
We see no problem with LBC bricks what so ever. In our opinion they are reasonably priced, 70% still go to new housing and 30% to the extension market.
Regards oldun
Thanks for that interesting about the clay content regarding painting, personaly i havent seen flettons used on new builds for years we find them expensive and poor quality compared to the bricks available form Holland and Belgium these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back