Flexi (braided) hoses in a central heating system?

what is it with heatlines, are they ONY installed by cowboys?
was called out to repair one the other day, took one look and walked away

Sponsored Links
If copper is too tricky for you then you could use plastic pipe and fittings for ch pipework.

I went to repair a Puma this evening!

There was not CH from the boiler.

I discovered a leak from the hot water supply pipe under the floor. The house was seriously damp with clouds of steam coming from the opening when I lifted the floor boards.

The cause was a plastic push fit coupler on copper pipes. It was not clear exactly why it had failed but it was not a soldered joint!!!

Tony

strange ? i worked in a petrochemical plant and stainless steel flexi hoses where the norm ther for fitting all sorts of things from 10 mil up even attached to high pressure and high temp turbines and boilers hydraulics i was the stores buyer

must be careful on flexi pipe technology as a lot of jobsworths plumbers would not be able to rip people off charging £100 to fix a 15 m cold water pipe burst. instead some people with half a brain may be able to fix the leak themselves

Nothing to do with ripping people off . The ones used in your industry and within certain boilers are purpose designed for there usage and can take what is happening to them.
The ones bought off the shelf which are designed for domestic water supplies and thus not designed to be used in other ways and result when they are used is in this way is SPLASH.

I can buy a remold tyre for 25 quid as opposed to the 170 quid for a proper tyre for my car would it take being driven at 150mph NO it would explode and shread same goes for flexis

Sponsored Links
must be careful on flexi pipe technology as a lot of jobsworths plumbers would not be able to rip people off charging £100 to fix a 15 m cold water pipe burst. instead some people with half a brain may be able to fix the leak themselves

Those with more than half a brain do a proper job.

PS. Please, do tell the forum more about the 'lot of jobsworth plumbers that rip people off charging £100 to fix a 15 m cold water pipe burst'. Or is that 15mm?

people with half a brain might not dredge up ancient posts for no reason, :rolleyes:

people with half a brain might not dredge up ancient posts for no reason, :rolleyes:

Maybe there's a bit of a braided flexi-hose fest going on at the forum tonight.

fair enough but his comments are not really related to his thread are they.

wonder what he did in the petrochemical plant? cleaner maybe?

strange ? i worked in a petrochemical plant and stainless steel flexi hoses where the norm ther for fitting all sorts of things from 10 mil up even attached to high pressure and high temp turbines and boilers hydraulics i was the stores buyer

I assume you never used those from Wickes and S/fix then. What temperatures?

Yep a 15mm pushfit at both ends and pipe cutter. All available from Wickes and done in minutes.

I saw a replacement updated combi DIY fitted. The man used flexible push-fit leads (with de-mountable Speedfit type of ends) to connect onto the existing pipes. It was a neat job and hidden under boxing. He said he checked the specs on the flexible pipes and it could be run with CH. The gas was copper with a few compression joints.

It worked well and I can't see a regulation that says it is illegal.

I saw a replacement updated combi DIY fitted. The man used flexible push-fit leads (with de-mountable Speedfit type of ends) to connect onto the existing pipes. It was a neat job and hidden under boxing. He said he checked the specs on the flexible pipes and it could be run with CH. The gas was copper with a few compression joints.

It worked well and I can't see a regulation that says it is illegal.

Where did you see this replacement updated combi DIY fitted? Was it a mate, someone who casually asked you in from the street perhaps, asking "would you like to see my DIYed updated combi?" Maybe it was in a capacity as some sort of DIY Inspectorate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back