flexible gas hoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At work we have gas fires hung with jack chain. They are plumbed with steel 3/4" pipe with BSP fittings etc. Then there is a flexible connector with an orange plastic jacket. the pipe is ribbed and not that flexible, it looks like that stuff they connect gas meters up in.

This jacket has cracks in it all over and you can see the metal pipe inside.

Is this normal or should we be worrying, no one can smell gas :)

interestingly you cant stand near it as it burns your head. It looks like they have been taken from the high pressure gas lines without a pressure reducer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have a radiant over head heater these are fitted on chains and must be fitted on flexible metal hoses (the covering is just to prtectect the stainless from corrosion), the heaters should also be fitted a certian minimum high above the floor level and some heaters also need air vents. if in doubt get in a corgi enginneer.

Yep the outer case identifies the flexible type, orange I don't think is the right one, gonna have to get the books out. at the same time I can check the minimum height of 2.4m to the lowest edge.

There's also bits about being a certain distance from burny things as well.

Can we have a pic.

It is a radiant over head heater but not the ambi rad type, it is more like a gas grill with an exposed flame. The flex pipe doesnt seem that flexible as it moves the steel pipework when it swings :)

Aparently we dont need to use corgi registered gas engineers as we are an industrial facility....... something smells funny and it isnt a gas leak.

I will get a photo and mail it into the admin later

Thanks

Sponsored Links
corgigazza said:
(the covering is just to prtectect the stainless from corrosion), .

thought the whole point of stainless was that it didnt corrode

some stainless materials do corrode, we have a lab that does just that!

The gas fitter fitted about 1000m of 2" gas piping all around the factory for gas heaters - none of it corgi, because it is just pipe. strangely, he wont touch our boilers but is fine with these gas fires and plumbing.

He has to be qualified , ACS as with corgi, even for clipping pipe to the wall if it's to be used for gas. There are modules for just that.

johno12345 said:
It is a radiant over head heater but not the ambi rad type, it is more like a gas grill with an exposed flame. The flex pipe doesnt seem that flexible as it moves the steel pipework when it swings :)

Aparently we dont need to use corgi registered gas engineers as we are an industrial facility....... something smells funny and it isnt a gas leak.

I will get a photo and mail it into the admin later

some stainless materials do corrode, we have a lab that does just that!

The gas fitter fitted about 1000m of 2" gas piping all around the factory for gas heaters - none of it corgi, because it is just pipe. strangely, he wont touch our boilers but is fine with these gas fires and plumbing.

Thanks

Now you really have me worried.

Certain types of gas appliance comes under the factory acts, overhead heaters do not and you have to use an industrial gas engineer (me) :LOL:

The installer must have industrial pipework, as well as the ACS for the heaters, in addition he would require industrial purging and testing, and on that point is where I get concerned, because 1000m of 2" pipe contains 2.4 M³ of gas, the maximum allowed is 1m³, meaning the supply should be sectioned off into smaller lengths.

The next problem is size, 2" will be dangerously undersized irrespective of whats connected to it.

In my opinion without seeing it you have a big problem on your hands that needs addressing immediately

I will bring this up in the risk assessment. I have over estimated the distance, it is probably only about 600m of 2". It has valves sectioning it into about 5 pieces. The gas pipe that supplies the building is about 18" dia and is delivered at a higher than normal pressure. Most boilets have a pressure reducer on the gas feed, like the ones on the gas metre at home.

If the pressure is too high for the gas valve, what should happen? would the fire burn hotter for example?

I will cautiously broach the subject.

johno12345 said:
I will bring this up in the risk assessment. I have over estimated the distance, it is probably only about 600m of 2". It has valves sectioning it into about 5 pieces. The gas pipe that supplies the building is about 18" dia and is delivered at a higher than normal pressure. Most boilets have a pressure reducer on the gas feed, like the ones on the gas metre at home.

If the pressure is too high for the gas valve, what should happen? would the fire burn hotter for example?

I will cautiously broach the subject.

Will not comment untill I know more, but dodgy sounds an understatement.

Who signed the job off and filled out the test certificates, Is there a line drawing in a prominant possition as well as the meter cupboard, all a requirement.

Who signed the job off and filled out the test certificates, Is there a line drawing in a prominant possition as well as the meter cupboard, all a requirement.

you are of course having a laff

or you have really had an easy life DJ

i find a size 9 to the rear end works quite well

kevplumb said:

you are of course having a laff

or you have really had an easy life DJ

i find a size 9 to the rear end works quite well

You are probably right on both counts kev.

:rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back