flexible pan connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have a problem where water pools in the joint where the wc spigot enters the flexible connector. Theres a channel in the joint just before the concertina part and over time it starts to leak. On taking apart this channel is full of water dispute me being sure the pan spigot is passed this channel. The connector is from Wickes. The connector is also very difficult to push tight over the spigot.

I've got hold of a rigid straight extension piece which pushes tight on to the wc spigot, cut down and inserted the end into the flexible connector so that the joint in the flexible is bypassed. The flexible does a 60 degree sloping downwards into the internal stack. It seems to be ok at the moment, but will it cause problems in time? I.e. 2 pipe connectors attached to each other?

Sponsored Links
a rough diagram would help

putting a joint inside a joint is not a good idea but more than 1 joint should be ok if each 1 goes into a rigid pipe

hope that answers the Q. if not a bit more detail please :LOL:

Thanks for your answer.

I have recently had the soil stack broken into to add my toilet. I'm in a ground floor flat and the toilet waste goes down through the ground into the inspection chamber outside and onwards. There is a stack in the corner of the bathroom which takes the waste from the upstairs flat through the ground and out into the same inspection and onwards. The two soil pipes don't meet before the inspection cover. The clay pipe was cracked which connects the internal soil stack, so had to get that repaired. I thought while it was open they could add a t-junction so that I could hook my toilet up and get the ground hole blocked off. This would allow me more flexibility where I can put my toilet.

The branch from the stack comes outs just above ground level but its not parallel with outside wall:

---------
/ but more like the hands showing at 8.45 on a clock if that makes sense

I need to connect this up to a back to wall toilet. A flexible connector seems the most logical idea, but water was pooling in the joint between the rubber seal and before the concertina and starts leaking:

------|-
------|-___|\/\/\/\/\

^
|
So in the mean time added straight rigid pan connector to back of toilet. Insert the end of this into the flexible as far as will go, and bend the flexible to push into soil stack branch. So the waste water is flushing straight into concertina and round and downwards into soil stack, bypassing the trap area in the flexible connector as shown above.

I've done the best I can to explain, hope that helps somewhat

Sponsored Links
the flexible is brand new, replaced a couple weeks ago from exactly the same one which was leaking, however when replaced it just simply went out the back of the toilet and down into the ground, so water could not collect in the bit between rubber seal and concertina and as such stayed dry

now there less of a downflow, the water collects and weeps out around the rubber and plastic of the pipe, either its not pushed far enough on to toilet spigot, but can't get it any further, or its just a rubbish connector and should purchase a higher quality one

The branch from the stack comes outs just above ground level but its not parallel with outside wall
... but more like the hands showing at 8.45 on a clock if that makes sense

That was nice of them to make it at the perfect angle to be awkward!

How does this T go into the ground and connect to the existing stack? If it is plastic into plastic at top and bottom, with rubber seals, you could rotate it.

I've done the best I can to explain, hope that helps somewhat

Err Nope!!! :LOL:

so long as each joint is rigid on 1 side and a rubber seal on the other and all the pipework runs downhill away from the WC it should be ok

if you have a male seal in a female seal you will get problems at some stage -fitting a short section of rigid pipe inside the female and fitting the male into the pipe is a way round this

Unfortunately the branching t junction is embedded into concrete.

It was done at an angle as the original wood framework is still attached to wall and they didn't think or rather I didn't request they saw a little bit off the end, so they are angled it round this.

The rigid straight connector is pushed into the end of the flexible connector. Instead of the flexible pushing on to the porcelain toilet spigot. It pushes over the male end of the rigid connector, which is then connected to toilet. The male end of rigid - I removed the black rubber finned seal. It is pushed a fair way into the flexible and stops just as the flexible bends round towards the pipe.

I'll try and upload a couple pics

Makes sense. As to the longevity - time only will tell.

Back to the original post - you say that the flexible connector is difficult to push over the spigot. In what way - difficult for it to remain in place or physically difficult to get on at all?

I can't physically push it any further, whereas the rigid one from wickes does go on further, maybe a slightly larger diameter?

cheers, if anyone has any better solutions for the current arrangement then please let me in on them

otherwise will keep a close eye on this at present, and only close it up once sure its all sound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back