Flexible push fit pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

Im attempting to replace a mixer tap in a sink in the bathroom (got to try these things)

If you can help ive got a bit stuck

1. the flexible pipe is a 15mm push fit thing which goes between the copper pipes coming up through the floor and the copper pipes atached the the mixer tap. The push fit looks like a plastic connector.
I dont know if you can reuse these push fit connectors or are they a once use only?

2. how do you get these push fit pipes off?

3. i have isolation valves on the pipes already so thats good and they are off.

4. how do you fit these push fit flexi pipes, do they need any extra stuff like the ptfe tape or and seleant gunge stuff

(sorry for the non technical terms )

Im really trying not to call a plumber as it should be something i feel i can do.

I did install a sink in the garage but that was from new and the flexi pipes i had there has a olive and nut on.

Our house is only a bout 12 years old, but the tap drips and its a weird tap. i took it apart and the innards are complicated. I can only find the replacement inside bit overseas!! hense new tap

cheers

simon

Sponsored Links
What colour is the push fit fitting?

Can you post a pic of what you are doing?

Andy.

Most pushfit flexconnectors can be taken off by grabbing around the copper pipe, and move the connector away. You have to push the ring from the pushfit connector against the connector "to release the brake".
Bit hard to explain in just words.
I expect the speedfit website will have some nice piccies to make it clearer.

Sponsored Links
push the smaller plastic ring at the extremity of the body into the body, and hold it there with your finger tips while to try to pull the whole fitting off the pipe.

Yes, they can be reused.
No, you don't need anything else like tape to fit them - but a bit of washing up liquid to help lubricate will make life easier.
If your taps have copper tails, file off any sharp edges around the circuference to eliminate any possible snagging (and hence damage) to the rubber ring within the pushfit connector.

push the smaller plastic ring at the extremity of the body into the body, and hold it there with your finger tips while to try to pull the whole fitting off the pipe.

its easier if you put an adjustable on the pipe to push with stops your dainty little fingers hurting :LOL:

so i'm a wimp :LOL: :LOL: ;)

ah so you have to push the bit at the end of the connector back towards the pipe to release the connection?
when you put it back on do you have to pull it back down again to make it stay connected?

cheers

Get an adjustable spanner to fit the pipe loosely and tap it off :idea:

ah so you have to push the bit at the end of the connector back towards the pipe to release the connection?
when you put it back on do you have to pull it back down again to make it stay connected?

cheers
No - the pressure of the water within the pipes will resettle it.

As for the others' suggestion about using a spanner if you have dainty little fingers then follow their advice. If you're a real man however...... ;)

"tap it off"? are you trying to blind me with technical jargon?

Obviously :rolleyes:

Put the jaw of the adjustable spanner over the pipe, then slide it towrds the fitting with some pressure and it taps it off. :idea:

Thanks guys for your help, i managed to get the flexi pipes off and just got to now reconnect them to the new mixer ive put on.
Hardest thing is its soo tight behind the sink, and had to fit the new plunger thing as well.

used my thumbs in the end to get the pipes off

much appreciated

simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back