Flickering light on dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've fitted some new lighting in my bedroom and when it comes to testing it, the new light flickers. I am not sure if the way I am trying to connect my lights is wrong, or if they are not compatible with the dimmer. Help!

The original lighting circuit for the bedroom is to remain, and I have taken power from it is follows:
I've split the perm live from the original switch to a junction box, returning the live to the switch and have a new wire for perm.
The original ceiling rose had the switched live, 2 neutral wires and earth. I have used a junction box to return the switched live, neutral and earth to the ceiling rose, and have two new wires for neutral and earth.

The new lighting will consist of three new switches running three separate wall lights. I have currently wired one as follows:
New perm live to junction box, live to switch, live from switch to next terminal in junction box.
Neutral and earth to the same junction box as the live from the switch. Then taken the relevant wires to the light.

The reason I'm posting is that I added the first light as a test, using a dimmer switch (and the bulb in the light is a frosted G9 - the lights are not on a transformer or anything), and on max power, the light flickers. It is perfect when dimmed up or down, only at full power does it flicker.

Also, I am correct with the extension of the circuit, and am I ok to take the perm live, neutral and earth to the next two junction boxes to power the next two lights?

Sorry for the length of my first post, I have been on the site loads before, but never needed to ask questions!

Thanks,
Leigh

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back