floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a radiator pipe sticking through my kitchen floor which makes the moving of the washing machine very difficult. i would like to have the pipe bent below the chipboard floor or cut back. my problem is it is embedded in a thick layer of polystyrene insulation under the chipboard and i dont know how to get at the pipe without compromising the stability of the chipboard. a washer foot will pass directly over the place where the pipe sticks up.

Sponsored Links
im sorry i cant post a photo - the pipe is approx 2" from the wall and sticks up about 6" with a knob on the top. i believe it has water in it. the washer is under a working surface and is next to the wall with about 3/4" sideways clearance which means it can only be removed with a gradually increasing clearance from the wall as it is pulled out. the pipe is approx 10" from the front left hand side of the washer with the wall on the left. i hope this helps.

Are you sure it's not a gas pipe. This is quite important to be sure of before you look at cutting into it or moving it which may disturb a hidden joint somewhere

Sponsored Links
You'll have to cut out a section of the floor deal with the pipe and the foam reinstate the floor.Woodchip floor and washing machine don't make a good marriage, so I would place a square of vinyl under the machine and the moment when in the lifecycle of the washing machine you see a puddle apear at the front have the machine fixed, before it rots the floor and comes though to the flat below.

When they started making houses with woodchip floors it was not as a materials improvement. It was to make more money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back