FLood Risk Assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put in planning to replace the roof on my garage from flat to pitched (including an office space. As its over 4m (5.3m) i'll need planning. at the same time I thought I would add a garden room the side for my wife to do yoga in. this will be around 50m2. (garage is 10m long so coming out 5m).
Reigate and bansted are now asking for a FRA which will cost upwards of £1000 this seems excessive to me and no-one in there department seems to know why its required they just point me to the code as below.

"Thank you for your email. Please note that Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) is required for all proposals for new development in Flood Zones 2 and 3, except where works do not relate to the ground floor. This requirement is supported by policies NPPF and PPG, CS Policy CS10, DMP Policy CCF2.

The FRA should identify and assess the risks of all forms of flooding to and from the development and demonstrate how these flood risks will be managed, taking climate change into account. The FRA should identify opportunities to reduce the probability and consequences of flooding. The FRA should include the design of surface water management systems including Sustainable Drainage Systems (SUDs) and address the requirement for safe access to and from the development in areas at risk of flooding.
The FRA should provide evidence that demonstrates, where required, the Sequential and Exception Test of NPPF have been met.
Further guidance on flood risk assessment is set out in the link below, including details of when to follow standing advice and how to undertake a FRA.

For more information please see link below.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/flood-risk-assessment-for-planning-applications"

I'm thinking I could just get the planning for the new roof as that doesn't entail a new ground floor. Then do the garden room as permitted development but that seems a bit of a faff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a good read of their policies, look for the definition of 'new development'- to me that would mean a new house or whatever where previously there was not a house rather than altering or extending an existing structure.
If that fails then yes do planning for roof then garden Room as pd if it falls into pd.

This sounds similar to what some/many councils have done with bat surveys and if you plan an extension that touches a roof, then instantly its an extra £500 for a bat survey.

Apparently now, planning is all about protecting ecology and the environment, and not just building something to live in that looks OK to the neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Guy I know did his own bat survey, I cribbed what he said and low and behold mine was accepted too, I gave mine to a colleague and his was accepted too.

On PJ's the first thing I do now is check the flood risk, if it's anything other than 1 I'll turn it down, I just can't be doing with it nowadays. Even on a 1 some authorities are expecting the soakaway to be indicated/set out.

To the OP just do the roof under the planning app.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back