Floor board replacement -alternative method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace some sections of broken floor board. When we had a builder do it previously, instead of cutting the boards infront of the joists and attaching battens to the joists to support the new boards, he used a circular saw to cut through the boards on the centre line of the joist with the result that each board would then rest on half the joist. Is that ok? I'd have thought that that would be stronger than on a couple of screws holding the batten to the joist to support the board...no?

But anyway, what type and size of screws to attach the battens?

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
DaveJ123 said:
I'd have thought that that would be stronger than on a couple of screws holding the batten to the joist to support the board...no?
But anyway, what type and size of screws to attach the battens?
You've got it right ! I use non-rust philips screw with cordless drill.

Little tip,

The thickness of a wood x 3 is the length you want for screw/nail

19mm timber should use approx 60mm length.

1/3 in timber 2/3 into fixing.

Sorry, just to make sure I understand: do you mean I'm right in saying it's better *not* to use the batten method and instead do what the builder did with the boards half overlapping the joists? i.e. your screw/nail size is for holding down the boards?

If so, but just *in case* I do need to attach a batten for any reason, what screws should I use for that?

Or have I completely misunderstood?

DaveJ

Both methods are often used, but you won't find battens used on new build.
Using a circular saw for plunge cuts can be dangerous for the inexperienced. Sometimes its easier to cut down the side of a joist providing there are no pipes or cables in the way. The batten method will be strong unless it's been poorly fixed. Each method is OK, but sometimes joists aren't as wide as they used to be and nails /screws finish up quite near the cut joint. So it all comes down personal choice in the end, but can you take out a floorboard and refit it easily. If it's between two joists only and you manage to saw on the side of the joists as against the centre you have no nails to remove, but refitting it means battens. Saw on the centre, Can you get the nails out without causing damage to the board? So it all depends on what your trying to achieve? and what your'e faced with.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for that, Mandate. That all makes sense. Was thinking of buying a circular saw for this. But never having used one before, and after reading about 'kick back', this may not be the best application with which to begin - I already had a bit of a phobia about CCs!

DaveJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back