Floor level needs raising - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have infrared panels mounted on my kitchen and dining room ceiling. We decided to get some porcelain tiles due to their high thermal mass which will help retain the heat produced by the infrared panels. The subfloor is concrete.

We need to raise the level of the floor by about 20mm. My concern is if we use ply, will this interfere with how the heat is stored between the porcelain tiles and the concrete sub floor? Will the plywood “break” the transfer of heat between the 2, therefore leaving the thermal mass of the floor not as good as it would if we were to apply tiles directly to the concrete? If that is the case then what could we use instead of ply that would help to retain the heat?

Sponsored Links
Ply will presumably increase the insulating properties of what’s there. You can tile on tile if you want to keep the stone floor.

Blup

Thanks for your response. I don’t necessarily want to make it better insulating - my concern was more the transfer of the heat. If we didn’t ply then the tiles would be in direct contact with the concrete so the thermal mass gained from the tiles heating up, would be transferred directly to the concrete floors. I’m wondering if this will be prevented due to the ply?

What do you mean tile on tile? 2 layers of tiles? That will double the cost of the material…

You're overthinking this.
How thick are the tiles?
If they're 12mm, with adhesive you'll be close to the 20mm required.
If you need 20mm plus the tiles, use self levelling compound.
Assuming the screed has been insulated, your thermal loss will be negligible.
Tiles on screed are always better than on plywood.

Sponsored Links
OK I misunderstood, thought the tiles were in place. Just build up with screed or ply.

Blup

So I have infrared panels mounted on my kitchen and dining room ceiling. We decided to get some porcelain tiles due to their high thermal mass which will help retain the heat produced by the infrared panels. The subfloor is concrete.

We need to raise the level of the floor by about 20mm. My concern is if we use ply, will this interfere with how the heat is stored between the porcelain tiles and the concrete sub floor? Will the plywood “break” the transfer of heat between the 2, therefore leaving the thermal mass of the floor not as good as it would if we were to apply tiles directly to the concrete? If that is the case then what could we use instead of ply that would help to retain the heat?
Panels on the ceiling will have negligible effect on the floor temperature, so your concerns are not valid.

Infrared wont affect the floor surely?

Why wouldn't it? If you have an IR emitter on the ceiling and nothing between it and the floor [eg furniture, people] it's going to heat the floor, right?

Why wouldn't it? If you have an IR emitter on the ceiling and nothing between it and the floor [eg furniture, people] it's going to heat the floor, right?
If it was powerfully enough to heat the floor it would cook the head of anyone standing in the room .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back