floor tiles on CABERFLOOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have laid ceramic floor tiles on a caberfloor using Unibond flexible water proof cement for floorboards (ready mix in bucket and the B&Q stuff, grey colour), not yet grouted.

I have since found out that caberfloors are water resistant and after conducting some tests found that the adhesive does not cure fully under a tile. What I have is a tile with a hard periphery of cement and the inner part set. A dollop on caberfloor sets solid in the air. I have not touched the floor I have laid for 4 days (96 hrs) now does anybody know how long it will take to set fully, also can I help it along by say heating the room?

The tech support, same people for both tubs, say that it will never set in 48hrs, but the tests show it does but slowly will it hold the tile when there is foot traffic? Incidently 2 weeks previous the tech support said I could use any chipboard flooring!

Someone please help cos we are desperate to go to the loo and have a bath!!!

TIA :eek: :oops:

Sponsored Links
I've got some bad news for you I'm afraid. You've made 2 big mistakes. :(
1. You shouldn't have tiled directly onto caberfloor, in fact you don't tile onto any chipboard floor.
2. Don't use pre-mixed adhesive for flooring applications.

If you have a look at the caberfloor datasheet http://www.norbord.com/Euro_Caberboard_Tech_Guide.pdf on page 12 it mentions that you need to overboard with 15mm ply when tiling (12mm would be ok though).
If you can get the tiles up while that "tile-on-wood" garbage is still damp, I would. I'd then overboard with 12mm WBP ply (staggered joints and screwed down at 200mm centres all over the sheets) and use Bal single part flexible adhesive to stick the tiles down.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you want to persevere with what you've got, put down some boards to walk on and leave it for a few more days - the longer you leave it to go off, the better chance you'll have.

gcol,
Thanks for ur reply, I know ur right. :cry: Thing is the Unibond etc tech supports told me when I had the hardboard floor down that I needed chipboard or ply but not both, then later they tell me I have the wrong adhesive. Since I bought the stuff everybody tells me i should be using the powder forms.
Luks like I should av laid a rhino floor again ;)

I'll percy vir with this one for a few days more until the smell of apple pie has gone. Mayb i'll get luki :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back