Floorboards - Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Building two story extension at the moment, and am now at the point where I need to think about buying in the flooring material.

The joists are 220x75 at 400mm centres spanning 4.6m. The plans say to use 18mm T&G chipboard, but I understand (from other posts on here) that this can be prone to creaking, etc.

What would be the best alternative to chipboard?

Also, would it be best to lay flooring material before any stud walls are built, or fix sole plate directly to my double joist?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard flooring is much better if you fix it with screws and also run a bead of wood glue along the tongues and avoid using nails as the creaking is caused when the nails start to work loose after a while. If you did want t use something else then the obvious choice would be T & G floorboards. I would also lay the floor first and then build the walls on the floor .

18mm WBP ply is stronger and resistant to wet e.g. bathroom and kitchen spills. 25mm ply is said to be better if you can afford it. It is rigid enough to tile over.

When I replaced the kitchen floor with ply (screwed down of course) I found it useful to leave it for a few weeks, walked about on and having appliances in place, then re-tighten screws. Some of them seemed to ease a bit after first being done and squeaked when walked on after the first week or two until I tightened them down.

mark on it where pipes and cables run with a permanent marker or paint.

I found it useful to do the bathroom and kitchen with lift-up panels over plumbing. You need nogs under short joints of panels. You can put in a floor safe while you are at it.

you can reduce noise transmission by laying mineral wool bats between the joists. The grey or brown stuff used for cavity walls and under floors is more dense and heavier than loft insulation, so deadens sound better. It is sold in slabs not rolls.

Spug - use 18mm (or 22mm) T&G exterior grade ply (WBP) screwed down. Never, ever use chipboard flooring (unless in the loft for storage). Do the floor first then the walls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies - very helpful and much appreciated!

Cheers, Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back