Floorboards run under hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of putting in under-floor insulation and have pulled up a number of the original floor boards to open up the space. There are two areas which are proving to be tricky.

The first is where the boards meet the fireplace hearth. When I try and lift the board, I can see the hearth starting to lift......so my question is, could the hearth sit on top of the floorboards? I've tried to look underneath but it's not clear. The two pictures may help.

The second area is where the lounge door meets the hall. I have a single floorboard across the length of the room, that is 4.42m long to the door threshold. Again, when I try and lift this board, I can see the new floorboards in the hall start to rise.

Could this floorboard pass across the door threshold and in to the hallway? Or is it more likely that the board stops at the threshold and there's just a slight "underlap" with the flooring in the hall?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20231026_124330.jpg
    20231026_124330.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231026_124707.jpg
    20231026_124707.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Can't help you with the hall/door threshold, but it looks like your hearth has been tiled. That probably means that the tiles have been laid on the original constructional hearth which will be smaller than that required by modern standards. There's a good chance that the hearth will have been laid larger than the original, so yes the tiles probably overlap the floor boards.

Can't help you with the hall/door threshold, but it looks like your hearth has been tiled. That probably means that the tiles have been laid on the original constructional hearth which will be smaller than that required by modern standards. There's a good chance that the hearth will have been laid larger than the original, so yes the tiles probably overlap the floor boards.
Thanks Lower.....I read your response and looked again and I think you are right.

If I look from the side, I can see that the hearth tiles stick out past the joist......if I then look at the original picture, it seems like the boards go up to the joists (at least)......so I can see there's 10cm of boards under the hearth tiles, if not more.

I've bought a tool to cut the boards now. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20231026_171730.jpg
    20231026_171730.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back