floorboards run under stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to replace my floorboards in my spare room, unfortunaltely I now realises that they run into the bathroom and do not stop at the stud wall. There are two joists on either side of the stud wall.

Any ideas? bearing in mind I've bought new floorboards cut to the length of the spare room.

Sponsored Links
not good news :( :(

i am assuming normal floor boards and you are cutting the flooring tight to the wall on the room side

you will have to introduce timbers every couple off feet to support the stud wall under the cut floor boards
remove 3 or 4 boards each side 6x2" tmber screwed in thickness off the floor boards plus 1mm under the stud repeat every 2ft
refit all boards on the bathroom side

cut 4x1" timber to fit between the supports
screw up through the 4x1" half protruding and half under the stud screw throught the bathroom boards and into the stud

so you now have 2" ledge sticking out from the stud to secure your new boards to

If your cutting the floorboards in the spare room tight against the wall then once you have them all up, cut some 3"x2" noggins to fit between the floor joists. Screw/nail these level with the tops of the joists right along the wall so that you have 2" of the noggins to fix your new floorboards to.

Your existing stud wall will still be supported by the floorboards already underneath it.
I assume your going to remove the skirting boards first?

Just re-read your post and it seems the stud wall runs the same way as the floorboards?
There should be a joist immediately below the stud wall, but you won't be able to tell until you take some floorboards up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back