Flooring dilemma - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Newbie here, who has a problem with living room floor. I've just pulled up our carpet and underlay to discover that the gripper rods have been nailed to the old vinyl tiles which were originally down. They are cracked all round the edges and a few tile pieces are missing. We've just taken the hearth up and have a patch of missing tiles, too.

Underneath the tiles is a black, thin layer of bitumen-like adhesive. It's not sticky to the touch, but after a few days the room does smell strongly of bitumen.

I want to lay a new carpet, but need to know whether I should take up the old tiles first, or leave them in place? The tiles are typical of those in the late 70s early 80s (house dates from 1981). Pale beige mottled, approx. 3mm thick and 9.5 inch square. From what we can see they also run under the kitchen units, so seem to have been laid all over downstairs.

A quick google seems to throw up the following options, but don't know which is best. I am worried about the smell of bitumen in particular as my OH is asthmatic and it is affecting them badly and I am therefore not sure if I need to get rid of it pronto.

So, do I:

a) leave the tiles down and hope that the gripper rods can be laid over the cracks

b) Take up the tiles round the edge so the gripper rods can be laid on the concrete and leave the remaining tiles in place

c) take up all the tiles, seal the floor with something to stop the smell - PVA mix?

d) none of the above, something completely different that I haven't thought of!

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Chances are mate your floor won't have a damp proof membrane under it. But if having carpet down you should be ok.
So best to leave the tiles down. Maybe fill the edges with rapid repair screed.
You could take all the tiles up then scrap off as much adhesive off as possible then screed the floor with a smoothing compound like ardex NA. You could put. A dpm on top as well if you wanted.

The tiles on the floor will be helping suppress any moisture as well so good idea to leave them down if you can

Thanks, *dazlight* I was thinking that patching the edges may be the best way forward. Will the screed be OK if laid as a 3mm layer? I was a bit worried it would be too thin!

Sponsored Links
No that's perfect. Most smoothing compounds now say you should them on at 3mm minimum now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back