flooring in the loft??? the best way to do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya guys, hope someone here can solve my head scratching problem.

i recently moved into a 1960's semi detached bungalow and have a fair amount of things a wanna put in the loft, i have looked at putting down chipboard but not sure about putting it straight onto the ceiling joists that are there. The ceiling joists are 4"x2" and i would like to reinforce/ strengthen them some how before i put the chipboard onto them. I also have three 6"x2" joists runing from my gable wall to the party wall and i would like this to be the new floor level so that the whole storage area is flat and clear. Is there any "easy-ish" way i can do this?

my ceiling joists run from front of the bungalow to the back and the 3 bigger joists run from side to side, hope this helps

Sponsored Links
i have trailed threw loads of the search results but nothing specificaly matches or comes close to the question i have asked

Sponsored Links
Joist hangers on the 3 main beams? Then more joists.--Expensive.

If the existing small joists are supported anywhere on their run, then reasonable weight only on the new floor with loading kept near the supported area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back