Flow and return swapped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my boiler replaced yesterday - from an old Worcester 9.24 Electronic to a Worcester 37CDi. I also had a new rad added. System was flushed out - but in fairness with the system always having been a combi, the water was clear anyway (and always is when I take a rad off).
The system has old Danfoss TRV's fitted
DSC03204.jpg
Are these on-way only - and if so would that be fitted to the flow side? Reason I ask is, the pipe going into the lock valve is getting hotter first - but I would have thought the pipe going into them would get warm before the lock valve one? There are no noises though - so should I worry? Can anyone confirm the order of pipes on the bottom of the 9.24 so I can see whether they have reversed the flow and return on the new one?
Also, for the new rad, the only reasonable option to add it was to tee off a 10mm microbore supplying another rad. It doesn't get hot at the bottom. :(
I checked how he'd done it and noticed the pipe from the 'tee'd in' rad with the TRV on goes to the lock valve on the new rad and the one with the lock valve on the 'tee'd in' rad goes to the TRV on the new one. However, looking at it and the new one is a Mistral II - which is bi-directional so I assume that's OK? Now, normally a cold rad at the bottom would be sludge but I don't think that's the case here - so is it a case of cranking down the lock valve on the previous rad and trying to balance better and get more hot water to the new rad?

Sponsored Links
pipework is different
Thanks - I know the order is different - the gas for example was on the left but it's in the middle now. I'm trying to ascertain if the one going into the flow and return now are the ones that went into the flow and return on the previous boiler. The pipes went vertically up into the boiler so when I know the order of them on the 9.24 I will know which one was the flow and return. Unless of course with those older TRV's it didn't matter...??...
Thanks.[/quote]

With a lot of older TRVs it did matter which way they were installed. Do these ones have arrows stamped on the valve body to indicate the direction of flow?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back