Flow and return to one side of the radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks,

On another thread I was looking at running pipes in behind skirting as the kitchen has a concrete floor with laminate on top and i dont want to dig it up. I was wondering if it is possible to to put the trv and lockshield on the top and bottom of the righthand side of the radiator and put the bleed and blank on top/bottom the left hand side? The radiator is a double panel/convector (incase that makes a difference). Would the water still circulate as normal inside the radiator?

Many thanks

pippo

Sponsored Links
This works fine if the rad is square but less well if its 2:1 wide.

If any wider then it will work well if the bottom connection is the flow and a distribution tube can be fed through from the bottom connection to almost reach the far side. That rarely works on a double panel though as its difficult to feed a tube in.

Tony

The rad is actualy the the oposite, 400 wide and 700 high (trying to make good a small wall).

So with this narrow rad, do you think it will be ok to run the flow/trv to the bottom right and the return/lockshield to the top right? or do you think it will be unbalanced?

pippo

One of the stelrad range has an extra tapping on the bottom, to allow for same side connections

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I have bought the rad, its a delonghi, and i cant see any extra tappings on it :(

Flow in at top one end and return out from bottom opposite end is the BEST way to connect a radiator!

That will work fine!

Flow in at the top and a bi-directional TRV on the bottom return.

Tony

bi-directional TRV at the top for the old dears to get at :idea:

I doubt that Pippo is an old dear as he is going to run piping!

The TRV is best as far away from the radiator as possible so that it is not influenced by the heat output from the rad! Thats includes being on the bottom rather than the top!

There are TRVs with remote sensors on a length of capillary tube!

Tony

But TRV's allow for local heat, when sensing the room temp, one could say a valve at the bottom is more likely to be affected by drafts.

But TRV's allow for local heat, when sensing the room temp, one could say a valve at the bottom is more likely to be affected by drafts.

If a TRV is sensing cold draughts then its a sure bet that more heat is required to be provided!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back