Flow through a stopped pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My circulating pump is needs replaced. However I want to relocate the new pump on the flow side of the boiler.

Rather than struggle to remove old pump and valves and makeup the gap in the pipework in an awkward place I would like to know:

a. Has a typical impeller pump a high resistance to flow through it when it is stopped? Ie could it just be left in position and wiring cut?

b. How easy is it to dismantle a typical pump in situ, remove impeller and reassemble? I assume without the impeller there would be little or no resistance internally if rest of pump body is left in place.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to answer such an odd query.

Sponsored Links
How easy is it to dismantle a typical pump in situ, remove impeller and reassemble? I assume without the impeller there would be little or no resistance internally if rest of pump body is left in place.
Sounds like a reasonable idea. The pump head will be held in place by 2 or 4 screws. Undo these, pull off head, break off impeller, refit.

However I can't see why removing the old pump is so difficult. You're draining the system anyway to fit the new one. Just cut the copper pipe either side of pump valves, fit new section of pipe using compression or soldered fittings.

you could re-use the nuts which were on the pump valves, on new compression couplings with a piece of pipe between. There are 2 threads around, so you might be unlucky, though 90% of them are the same.
If you were careful you could use the piece of pipe you remove to put the new pump in!
It would be tempting to just break off that impeller...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back