Flue inside Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had some building work done about 5 years ago and the builder advised us the flue was not working correctly (debris was stuck inside and it was dangerous) we had no extra money at the time so we told him we could'nt afford to have the chimney removed and to fix the flue so we got rid of the fire and he bricked up the fireplace for us.

Now because the wind has gotten up over the last few weeks we can hear the flue banging or rattling inside the chimney in the upstairs bedroom would a roofer beable to take out the flue from the chimney outside or would he need to reopen the fireplace again as I am not sure what the flue it attached with inside the chimney. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also any idea how much it would cost to have removed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flue liners are usually inserted from the top so it should be possible to remove it from above. The only problem is that the bottom may be attached to a register plate which is fixed inside the chimney, just above where the original fire was located. For cost you need to get quotes but I would guesse it could be anything between £100-£200

If you’ve had the flue bricked up, it’s possible the builder removed it at the time & that is why you can hear rattling; or the liner itself may now be breaking up due to acid corrosion caused by condensation. You should not close a flue/chimney off completely; there should be an open ventilator at the bottom with a rain cap on the top. If you don’t ventilate you could get problems with liner corrosion or damp appearing on the chimner walls.

Flue liners are usually inserted from the top so it should be possible to remove it from above. The only problem is that the bottom may be attached to a register plate which is fixed inside the chimney, just above where the original fire was located. For cost you need to get quotes but I would guesse it could be anything between £100-£200

If you’ve had the flue bricked up, it’s possible the builder removed it at the time & that is why you can hear rattling; or the liner itself may now be breaking up due to acid corrosion caused by condensation. You should not close a flue/chimney off completely; there should be an open ventilator at the bottom with a rain cap on the top. If you don’t ventilate you could get problems with liner corrosion or damp appearing on the chimner walls.

Hi Thanks for your comments. As far as I know the builder just left the flue as it was and just put me a pot ontop of the chimney. Would this not be enough ventalation for the chimney as surely air still gets in through the pot that is why the flue is rattling. Sorry if I sound a bit thick on this subject but I know nothing about chimneys.
Thanks alot

Without a vent at the bottom, there is not air flow; what is happening is the air pressure inside the chimney reduces when the wind blows over the pot, causing the liner to rattle. Air must be able to get into the bottom so forming a natural updraft which is necessary for the flue to ventilate properly.

Sponsored Links
Without a vent at the bottom, there is not air flow; what is happening is the air pressure inside the chimney reduces when the wind blows over the pot, causing the liner to rattle. Air must be able to get into the bottom so forming a natural updraft which is necessary for the flue to ventilate properly.

Hi, Thanks alot for your comments and I will now try and get something sorted.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back