Flymo lawn rake repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever repaired one?

I've looked on the net and there isn't much about. It stopped working but an afternoon messing about with it and I need a drive pulley kit and a belt. I can get them and replace them but the issue is the tine bar. It will not spin freely probably due to corrosion, grass wrapped round the bar the most probably cause.

I have cleaned it and sprayed penetrating oil on. It now turns but not really freely, thing is if I replace the parts it could happen again. Has anyone been able to remove the tine bar? It appears to be a one time factory fit. If I can get this part out to clean it, it'll be a £10 repair instead of a new machine.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Scratching the memory cell again....If you remove the belt and its drive pulley isn't there a cap/bearing that comes clear, allowing the tine bar to be removed?
Only a plastic bush at the other end, I think.....do this with the machine upside down.
John :)

There's a star lock washer on one end and a bearing on the other. The bearing is flush in the plastic housing so I guess I'll have to try and remove the star lock some how. Hopefully I can remove it without damaging the nylon pulley under it.

Prise the star lock off with a screwdriver.....you'll probably distort it but it can be pushed back on again with a tubular tool (socket) that's just big enough to pass over the spindle.

Sponsored Links
That will sort out one side, any tips on knocking the shaft out of the bearing? The whole thing will still be housed in the plastic chassis of the machine.

Ok, I'm afraid I can't remember anything else, but on the opposite end to the pulley ( on the tine shaft ) that star washer just holds the plastic tine holders in place, doesn't it, rather than locating the shaft itself?
It must come adrift somehow - someone assembled it in the first place!

No, tines are in the inside of the chassis star lock on the outside.

Sorry fella, cant remember any more details - is it possible for a pic or two?
I would have thought that, with the belt pulley off, the tine cassette should pull through.....but if the sides are solid, maybe the tine shaft is in two bits? Can't see how they would assemble it any other way!

Photo of the tine bar is on the link in #7, the ends are through holes either side of the chassis. Bush on one end star lock on other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back