ford fiesta blowing cold air!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently fitted a new heater valve on my 2000 fiesta zetec and for a few days i had a nice warm car but not the heater is only blowing cold air again and occasionally warmish air when the blower is on low! the pipes to the radiator are hot as are the 4 pipes on the heater valve but not from the expansion tank! tried running with the cap off and squeezing the pipes but no signs of change! any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as im sitting at my computer watching three inches of snow and building! brrrrr!

Sponsored Links
Did you bleed the system when you refilled it? You might need to improvise a header tank out of a bottle to get the level of fluid above the highest point in the system.

Failing that you could try removing the pipes from the heater and running water through them to remove any airlock.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the pipe to the header tank to get hot, it's only there as a supply.

Another possibility that occurs to me is that it may not be a problem on the water side. On a lot of modern cars (I have no experience of Fords mind you) the heater is permanently on and the heat into the passenger space is controlled by a flap mixing air from outside with that passing through the heater matrix. These can get stuck and almost always seem to fail in the cold position.

i have been back out today and when the engine is revved up, the heat increases but tyhen drops off as the revs drop down! does this indicate anything at all? thanks

Check under the bonnet, that the two heater pipes from the engine (one
supply and one return) are OK and have on kinks. Also check for a
mechanical tap worked by a cable. this is the heater control (hot air) tap. If
no tap them you have a flap in the heater to control hot air and the cable is not working the tap/flap properly.

Sponsored Links
i have been back out today and when the engine is revved up, the heat increases but tyhen drops off as the revs drop down! does this indicate anything at all? thanks

Well I'm not a mechanic but to me this sounds a bit like an air lock.

Check under the bonnet, that the two heater pipes from the engine (one
supply and one return) are OK and have on kinks. Also check for a
mechanical tap worked by a cable. this is the heater control (hot air) tap. If no tap them you have a flap in the heater to control hot air and the cable is not working the tap/flap properly.

Good advice. The flaps are often driven by a motor nowadays the motor could fail or stick.

Back